Entire screen briefly flashes black

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Hawkeye34
Snes9x White Belt

Entire screen briefly flashes black

Post by Hawkeye34 »

Hello folks: I have a strange problem for you.

I've used Linux for a while except for gaming, so in terms of emulation I'm a recent convert from Windows and ZSNES. My computer runs openSUSE x86_64, with 2GB RAM, an Athlon II 2.9 GHz dual-core processor, and Radeon HD 5670 graphics. Today I decided to build SNES9x and use it with the same three roms (Star Fox, Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars) that I used with ZSNES with no problem.

This problem only happens when using the SNES9x-gtk interface. All three roms work fine with the command-line snes9x.

When playing a game -- and ONLY when playing a game, not when the game is paused or there is no game -- my entire screen, not just the SNES9x window, flashes to black for a split second. I have no idea what could be causing this. Here is the error message:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/xdg-screensaver: line 564: dcop: command not found
(at least I think that's what it said, I neglected to write it down! :oops:)

So I installed a package containing DCOP, and now the message is:

ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!
In any case, I have no idea what DCOP has to do with all of this. It's all very strange to me.

Here is the ROM information for Super Mario World, although I don't think it will matter since it happens with every ROM I tired:

Name: SUPER MARIOWORLD
Speed: 20/SlowROM
Map: LoROM
Type: 02
Contents: ROM+RAM+BAT
ROM Size: 4Mbits
Calculated Size: 4
SRAM Size: 16Kbits
Header Checksum: A0DA
Checksum Compliment: 5F25
Actual Checksum: A0DA
Video: NTSC 60Hz
CRC32: B19ED489
Revision: 1.0
Thanks in advance.
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Post by BearOso »

xdg-screensaver thinks it sees KDE 3.x, but apparently you aren't running it. Since you built it from source, you can go into the gtk_s9xwindow.cpp file and remove the if block at line 1496 and rebuild to see if that fixes it. You could also try the revision 81 snapshot at http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3703 which has this removed already.
Hawkeye34
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Hawkeye34 »

revision 81 works perfectly. Thanks!