Snes9x 1.53 crash on exit.

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
grayhat137
Snes9x White Belt

Snes9x 1.53 crash on exit.

Post by grayhat137 »

Everything works perfectly, until I try to exit.

If there is no rom loaded, it exits fine.

If there is a rom loaded, it does one of two things:

1) It never closes, but keeps burning cpu at max speed. After about 30 seconds, it finally saves the snes9x.conf (but if closed before it saves, it wipes the .conf file). After the .conf file saves, I don't know what it does . . . it just burns cpu until I kill the process. I waited a good ten minutes the last time it happened, and it just kept burning the cpu.

2) It crashes with a windows exception.

As I said, it ONLY does this on exit. Other than that . . . awesome work, guys!

I looked all through this forum and googled for a few hours, and it seems like the only person with this problem, so it might be a conflicting program or setting on my end.

I will continue to monkey with settings and situations, and let you know if I find anything out.

-- Later --

Okay, here's what I found out . . .

If Snes9x is launched from a network drive (in Win7, for me at least):

It works as described in the post above . . . it reads & writes files to the network drive, and functions as expected until it's closed. I'm not sure why the file operations fail when snes9x is closing down, causing it to crash, while it works fine the entire time it's running. It also doesn't matter where the roms are loaded from, and it reads, writes, and exits just fine if there isn't one loaded. Roms loaded local, remote, and even in the same directory crash it on exit. It also doesn't matter what rom, I've tested quite a few in the past hour.

If Snes9x is loaded from anywhere on the local computer:

Flawless! It will load a rom from anywhere (on a network drive, local, usb), play it, and close down with absolutely no problems.

I run a lot of programs from a network drive, this is the only program that crashes. What could cause this? Anyone have any ideas?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

It's not a good idea to run applications over the network in general. It'd be better to set up a script of some sort that will download a archive that self-extracts to a temporary directory on a local machine, runs, creates a new SFX on the local machine, then reuploads, overwriting the old outdated archive.

Though I do say that behavior is really odd.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

As another workaround, have you tried mapping the network drive to a local drive letter? Some programs have trouble working with the \\share\etc. format that you get without doing drive mapping.
grayhat137
Snes9x White Belt

Post by grayhat137 »

Yes, I have this mapped to a drive letter on my Windows machines.

Since the Snex9x program itself is small, I've changed my setup so that just the program and config files are on local machines, and the snapshots and roms are on the remote drive. It's working with no fuss now, and everything syncs fine.

Also, sorry for not replying sooner.

Happy gaming, and thank for your support!
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Great, glad we could help. :)
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!