Snes9X EX (port for Android, iOS, WebOS)

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Ahh, I stand corrected! Glad to hear it works!
Specter597
Snes9x White Belt

Accelerometer joy?

Post by Specter597 »

What would be great (Droid X2 using Snes9x EX) would be to have accelerometer mapping to the Up, Down, Left Right - I've been playing a lot of F-Zero on this and everything is AWESOME except for the onscreen joypad - its just too sensative (Lots of crashing.)

Has anyone started work on mapping the Accelerometer to the joy pad (as an option?)
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

That's a really interesting idea. Slow as all get-out, of course, but it'd be really useful in situations where either 1. multitouch doesn't work very well on your phone (like the Nexus One, alas) or 2. You want all of the screen real-estate available for the display.

Calibrating it would be interesting too, but it's a great suggestion, and probably very workable.
Vague Rant
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Vague Rant »

Vague Rant wrote:... one thing I'd suggest for all devices is an option to disable scaling [...]. The 3G's 480*320 screen wouldn't look horribly underused at 1x scale, and I, at least, would prefer it to the current full-height scaling.
Apologies for repeating a request, but this remains as something I'd love to see, although more realistically, as an option for integer scaling only. This would allow for crisp, pixel-for-pixel (which, yes, means slightly off TV display aspect, but we're not using TVs here) display on smaller screens, while also allowing for larger screens to show uniformly scaled pixellated graphics. Sure, it would leave screen edges unused, but oh well.
Rakashazi
Official iOS & Android Porter

Post by Rakashazi »

Some good news for iOS users experiencing Bluetooth lag. I've found the source of the problem in BTstack and made some modifications to greatly minimize the chance of it happening. Still need to do more testing but as a stress test I've tried spinning around the analog sticks on the Classic Controller while trying to get other buttons to register, and the latency was never more than 1 frame.

The new code will be in the next update (1.4.0) and I'll also be releasing the source for this version.
jdsony
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jdsony »

Is there a bug in the auto menu orientation for iOS? It seems that if I start in landscape mode the menu displays correctly but the actual controls are still in portrait mode. Every time I use it starting out in landscape mode I need to tilt to portrait and back to landscape and then it's fine. It's been doing this as long as I've been using it.
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

This happens on the iPad I'm assuming?
OMGsus
Snes9x White Belt

Post by OMGsus »

Rakashazi wrote:This happens on the iPad I'm assuming?
I've seen it happen on that ipad with what may have been a previous release but it doesn't seem to happen on iPhone 4.

Also, first post... I cannot tell you how happy I was to see a legit emu on iOS. I was fuming for so long looking at those terrible snesn9 ports with terrible terrible settings and comparability. Your port is so much more crisp and tight. I was extremely surprised to see it was built on Imagine... very clean.

I cannot wait for the BTstack lag fix changes. My only pet peave is what seems to be a buffer issue with analog inputs. If you want a tester ;).....

Also, sorry for the pirate repos jacking your software updates. Do what you gotta to do to protect your interests.

Keep up the awesome work and trust me, a lot of people out there are incredibly happy about this.

Later...
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

OMGsus wrote:I've seen it happen on that ipad with what may have been a previous release but it doesn't seem to happen on iPhone 4.
Figured it out, was activating the orientation sensor before the app finished initializing. This is fixed in 1.4.0 which should be in Cydia in the coming days (just posted it for Android). It also includes support for the mouse which I think is a first for SNES emus on mobile phones? Here's the full changelog, and I also decided to start up a Twitter account today so people can keep up with development. Thanks to everyone giving feedback and support for the app :)
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

Ok, here's the long awaited source coderelease of version 1.4.0 :)

Note there are extra restrictions placed on distribution since it's combined with my own GPL code. However, I can grant exceptions if any devs want to distribute their own builds upon request.
rzsose
Snes9x White Belt

Cheats Option?

Post by rzsose »

tioviez wrote:hi Rakashazi,

im using ver 1.3.28-armv7 on my GalaxyTab, and its doing great..!!
when will you build the version with cheat feature (game genie, etc..)??? :D
Rakashazi wrote:
mrbonner wrote:Hey was wondering will cheats be available soon for these ports?
I'll probably start working on cheat support after I've gone through the list of features planned for version 1.4.0 on my site :)
Good afternoon Rakashazi,

This emulator port is great. Thank you for getting this on Android.

I have downloaded the new version and I cannot find the cheats option. Has this been included yet? If not not is there an ETA?

Thanks again
Silly Rabbit!! Buy your own!!
rzsose
Snes9x White Belt

Is the project is on hold or dead?

Post by rzsose »

Is this emulator still being worked on?
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Yup. I know the Android version, at least, gets a new update from Rakashazi every so often.

Cheats haven't been implemented yet though.
rzsose
Snes9x White Belt

Post by rzsose »

SparroHawc wrote:Yup. I know the Android version, at least, gets a new update from Rakashazi every so often.

Cheats haven't been implemented yet though.
Thanks for the reply. I have seen others with cheat/mod options but the controller are mediocre.
jdsony
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jdsony »

Thanks the menu rotation appears to work properly now on the ipad! Great emulator both in terms of features and performance.
Spuddle
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Spuddle »

Great work, just discovered this, runs great!!!
Any way to have scanlines option A la imame?
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Spuddle wrote:Great work, just discovered this, runs great!!!
I think the SNES resolution is too high to have enough room for scanlines on a regular smartphone screen.

Of course, it might be a nice option for iPads.
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

SparroHawc wrote:
Spuddle wrote:Great work, just discovered this, runs great!!!
I think the SNES resolution is too high to have enough room for scanlines on a regular smartphone screen.

Of course, it might be a nice option for iPads.
so what, what about droid pads :P

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

...or any device with a qHD or higher resolution.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

adventure_of_link wrote:
SparroHawc wrote:Of course, it might be a nice option for iPads.
so what, what about droid pads :P
erk... Droid pads too, yes. Or as odditude mentions, anything that does higher res. I should be keeping that in mind, as I own an Android device myself. c_c