Snes9X EX (port for Android, iOS, WebOS)

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
Rakashazi
Official iOS & Android Porter

Post by Rakashazi »

mrbonner wrote:Hey was wondering will cheats be available soon for these ports?
I'll probably start working on cheat support after I've gone through the list of features planned for version 1.4.0 on my site :)
petabyte
Snes9x White Belt

Problems with classic controller on iOS

Post by petabyte »

First of all, sorry for my English, and thanks a lot to Rakashazi for this amazing piece os soft.
It runs very good in my ipad, but i have some questions.

Is wii classic controller oficially supported on ios?.
Before, my cheap clone of classic controller worked fine, but the feel and the buttons are very bad. After making sure that it works with super mario world, i went to buy an official classic controller pro. But, now it doen's works. None of them work!!!
May be a problem with btstack or some cydia soft installed recently?
In the menus they work fine, but entering a game it stops working (the basic controller and the attached controller)
In mame4all they work fine.

Another cuestion. If i make changes on settings, they aren't saved.

In the author webpage says:
The configuration file is located in /private/var/mobile/Documents, to reset your configuration in case of issues simply delete it.
I have no file in that location, i have checked too with ifile the permissions on the folder, and reinstalling appication.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

The only OS that the wiimote is officially supported on is the one on the Wii itself. Everything else is unofficial.

That said, it should work on SNES9x. However, there's a good chance it's related to not being able to save your settings. Have you tried removing SNES9x completely and re-installing it?
Rakashazi

Re: Problems with classic controller on iOS

Post by Rakashazi »

petabyte wrote: Is wii classic controller oficially supported on ios?.

Another cuestion. If i make changes on settings, they aren't saved.
Classic Controllers are supported on iOS and if works in the menu it should definitely work in-game. Try checking your Wiimote Key Config and see if the buttons are properly mapped?

About the config, try re-installing the app and see if that helps. You're using the official package from BigBoss right?
petabyte
Snes9x White Belt

Hummm

Post by petabyte »

I tried to reinstall the app, but nothing...I will do it again and i will check the package, may be i'm installing another pacage.
About the classic controller, it's very strange, it works in the menu,but not in game. Last night I saw one thing, it works but there is a huge lag 30 or 40 secs....and more strange, it worked fine a few days ago, i was not dreaming...anyway it seems to be a problem in my ipad, therefore, i'll update the firm, i will do a fresh and full cydia, apps and more stuff reinstall. I will tell you the results...
Thanks!!!
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

I do remember seeing someone posting a solution to lagging input. Try putting the frameskip on 1.
petabyte
Snes9x White Belt

Post by petabyte »

it works!!!!. putting frameskip on 1 was the solution.the game starts at a very high speed, ,but exiting menu and entering again, all work fine!!!.
and now i can save the settings too , chmod 666 was the solution, but i dont kniw what folder was, i tried it in many folders....
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Hah, alright. That's a problem that'll probably be fixed soon; in the meantime, you'll have to make do with the frameskip, or try to find another method to get the input from your Classic controller.
tioviez
Snes9x White Belt

Post by tioviez »

hi Rakashazi,

im using ver 1.3.28-armv7 on my GalaxyTab, and its doing great..!!
when will you build the version with cheat feature (game genie, etc..)??? :D
Rakashazi wrote:
mrbonner wrote:Hey was wondering will cheats be available soon for these ports?
I'll probably start working on cheat support after I've gone through the list of features planned for version 1.4.0 on my site :)
Skor
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Skor »

Hi,

I just downloaded this app and I am amazed that I can carry SNES games everywhere I go.

This works very well for RPGs like the final fantasy games, but I'm having problems controlling action games. I'm using a Nexus S, which is supposed to have multitouch support (up to five different points), yet when using your app, it seems like I can only press two buttons at once.

For example, in many games, you can dash and jump by holding a direction, and something like y and b. When I'm running, I'll slide my thumb so that it covers both y and b, and about half the time, nothing happens, and the rest of the time, my character jumps, but it seems the y key is depressed and the jump is a low distance one.

Am I the only one having this issue?

Incidentally, it would be great if we could reduce spacing between buttons to below 1 mm. It would make pressing multiple buttons easier. Would also be good if we could have split L/R buttons at the top when in landscape orientation, with the rest of the buttons at the bottom (I have failed to figure out how to do this from the available menu options). Then the L and R keys could be pressed with the index fingers (not so comfortable, but allows for holding R while still using a/b/x/y).

Ok, last suggestion: a fast forward button would be really handy, if that is possible.
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

Skor wrote: This works very well for RPGs like the final fantasy games, but I'm having problems controlling action games. I'm using a Nexus S, which is supposed to have multitouch support (up to five different points), yet when using your app, it seems like I can only press two buttons at once.

For example, in many games, you can dash and jump by holding a direction, and something like y and b. When I'm running, I'll slide my thumb so that it covers both y and b, and about half the time, nothing happens, and the rest of the time, my character jumps, but it seems the y key is depressed and the jump is a low distance one.
To check the exact number of points supported by your device, try this test app. There's a small zone in between buttons to assist with pushing 2 at once and will be configurable in a future update. This may sound a bit counterintuitive, but increasing the button spacing makes this zone larger so it's actually easier to push multiple buttons in the case where your thumb is over both (the OS should interpolate the location to the middle and have a better chance of hitting the in-between bounding box).
Skor wrote: Ok, last suggestion: a fast forward button would be really handy, if that is possible.
This is already supported if mapped to a hardware button (check the key config), touch-based fast forward should be coming soon.
temporalg
Snes9x White Belt

Post by temporalg »

Nice work! And thanks very much for respecting the GPL licenses on the other emulators you've ported. It made me quite happy to pay money for them on the Android market.

I'm curious, what's up with Star Fox? Both SNESoid and your port run it abnormally fast, which is funny because I thought that was traditionally a ZSNES problem that SNES9x got right.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

temporalg wrote:I'm curious, what's up with Star Fox? Both SNESoid and your port run it abnormally fast, which is funny because I thought that was traditionally a ZSNES problem that SNES9x got right.
That's a problem nearly every emulator had except for BSNES. If you grab version 1.43 of SNES9x (which is the version the Android port is based off of) you'll see that Star Fox runs too fast on that as well.
madmaniac
Snes9x White Belt

Post by madmaniac »

Hi,

I am having an issue with Snes 9x EX in conjunction with Snes 9x 1.43:

I want to move game states from my android phone to my computer when being at home in order to play at the bigger screen.
Copying the .s96 files to the computer and then trying to load them in Snes 9x 1.43 is not working. When saving in Snes 9x, the files extension is .001 .002 etc.
Also file size is completely different. Just renaming is of course not working as well.
Can you advise how to get this solved?

Thanks in advance for the support! :)
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Unless I miss my guess, save states are processor-dependent. If that is the case, it unfortunately means that save states will be completely non-transferrable between phones and computers as they have very different processors.

What you CAN do, however, is take an actual cartridge save (.srm) and copy that to your PC, and vice-versa.
madmaniac
Snes9x White Belt

Post by madmaniac »

Hi SparroHawc,

I was afraid that it is like that.
However I was wondering since on the official website it is stated
Backup memory and save state support, auto-save and ten manual slots for save states. State files from Snes9x 1.43 should work on Snes9x EX and vice-versa.
Therefore I was assuming that a possibility exists.
Thank you for clarifying this...
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

madmaniac wrote: I want to move game states from my android phone to my computer when being at home in order to play at the bigger screen.
Copying the .s96 files to the computer and then trying to load them in Snes 9x 1.43 is not working. When saving in Snes 9x, the files extension is .001 .002 etc.
Are you sure you're on 1.43 for the PC? The save state format is identical and since ARM processors are little-endian just like x86, there shouldn't be any data format issues. I've tested this on a Linux build of Snes9x 1.43 from the original source archive. Which build are you using?
madmaniac
Snes9x White Belt

Post by madmaniac »

Hi Rakashazi,

I downloaded the Win32 binaries of Snes 9x 1.43 from http://www.lysator.liu.se/snes9x/ since no links are given on the official Snes 9x website.

When checking in the about field of the Snex 9x, it states "Snes9X v1.43 for Windows."

Maybe I did something wrong... Do you know of another version that I should download?

edit: I also downloaded the version from http://snes9x.ipherswipsite.com/
and it is absolutely the same version.

If you want I can attach both versions (Win32 and Android) of the save file so you can see the difference...
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

That looks like the right one, I started up a game in Snes9x EX and did a save state. Then I took the .00.s96 and renamed it as .000. Loaded up the same game in 1.43 and it did indeed load correctly. What game are you using btw?
madmaniac
Snes9x White Belt

Post by madmaniac »

Seriously, I tried so many times in the last days and it never worked.
Now I took a save file from my android phone again, renamed it to .000 and it worked like a charm...
I am not sure what I did wrong - sorry for wasting your time!

Thank you for making such emulator available for Android! I highly appreciate it!