Snes9x causing kernel panic ?

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Agurri
Snes9x White Belt

Snes9x causing kernel panic ?

Post by Agurri »

Hi all,

I've been using Snes9x on my mac for a long time but I didn't upgrade to the most recent version. I upgraded to the 1.52 (100) version but now ... it is causing kernel panic to my intel mac. At first, I thought it was maybe a bad rom, but it's been doing this for at least 2 roms.

The problem appears randomly... it's could be after I'm playing for 5 or 10 or 20 minutes. The emulator runs great and I didn't have this problem with the older version (I think it was 1.42...)

Do you guys have any ideas ??
Yeah.... whatever.
zones
Official Mac OSX Porter/Dev

Post by zones »

Check your system and hardware first, other than snes9x.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

I'm with zones on this one. I honestly can't think of how SNES9x could cause a kernel panic in Darwin unless there's a seriously screwed up driver or the like.
Agurri
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Agurri »

I can't see how snes9x mess up with the drivers either. My computer is working as usual... and I don't get any kernel panic... but I'm getting kernel panic only when Snes9x is opened...

Any ideas of what I could do ??
Yeah.... whatever.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

SNES9x itself -should- be compartmentalized enough by OSX to prevent kernel panics from happening. None of what it does is low-level enough, as far as I know, to seriously screw with what the kernel's doing.

What games are you running when it crashes? Could it be ones using a custom chip?

Have you tried changing the output method in the display settings? Or the sound driver that's being used?

If we can pin down what specifically is causing the crash, we're more likely to be able to fix it.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Check your temps while running Snes9x, the emu might be causing your system to overheat because it's working too hard.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
kRogue
Snes9x White Belt

Post by kRogue »

Just a thought: are you having that Snes9x is set to use OpenGL? If so, choose to not use OpenGL... if that makes the issue go away then you know that either the GL driver is bad or the GPU is on it's death bed.