So now I get to be the n00b asking about Netplay

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Ryan
Grand Poobah

So now I get to be the n00b asking about Netplay

Post by Ryan »

I did a search, and I see that as of 1.51 Netplay was disabled, but in current builds it is not. I've done port forwarding and am able to get my friend connected fine if I act as server, but then I get SERVER: Client 2 has paused. and that's all she wrote. I also made sure that cheats were diabled in case that might be the issue. We're using the same ROM image and Snes9x version.

Does the whole requirement of a VPN and other such chicanery apply, and if so, why? TCP/IP is TCP/IP, so I am curious why the type of TCP connection would matter. Even over a VPN the latency issues will be the same, and all that is happening is adding yet one more layer to the transport.

Not being bitchy/whiny, I am just curious as to the state of this function and the reasonings for why it is as it is for now.
Last edited by Ryan on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

Last I checked, snes9x netplay worked best either on a LAN or 1337 army-grade internet connections (think fiber optics or something).

also, things like Hamachi were used to get around most of the port forwarding issues, etc.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

adventure_of_link wrote:Last I checked, snes9x netplay worked best either on a LAN or 1337 army-grade internet connections (think fiber optics or something).
Yeah I got all that from the previous posts I saw. The question remains: why? LAN vs. Internet, the packets and such are the same.
also, things like Hamachi were used to get around most of the port forwarding issues, etc.
Hamachi makes me rage. Besides, I've gotten around everything else. My friend can connect. Snes9x just then bugs out and hangs after the connection, like it's failing to sync up, which is probably exactly the issue.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

LAN versus internet is the same, except the moment you go outside your local network the lag gets atrocious. SNES9x is running two instances of the same thing, one on each computer, and if either side gets out of sync at all due to user input it has to figure out what happened. If it can't communicate fast enough to talk to the other computer on a frame by frame basis, it's going to throw a fit.
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

But wouldn't it still be the same even thru a VPN? It's still going over the Internet either way, so the lag is going to be the same either way it would seem...
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

You may wish to try using zbattle.net instead if you don't mind using ZSNES.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:You may wish to try using zbattle.net instead if you don't mind using ZSNES.
I think Ryan's trying to ask about why Snes9x netplay is in the state it's in, dude.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Camo_Yoshi wrote:You may wish to try using zbattle.net instead if you don't mind using ZSNES.
I think Ryan's trying to ask about why Snes9x netplay is in the state it's in, dude.
Was posting to the OP.
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

Guys...play nice. Camo, I may look into that option if I cannot get Snes9x working via Hamachi.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Ryan wrote:But wouldn't it still be the same even thru a VPN? It's still going over the Internet either way, so the lag is going to be the same either way it would seem...
No - even if you're using a VPN it still has to be routed through every piece of hardware between you and your friend. Each time that happens, it takes a little longer for the packet to make the trip. Put simply, SNES9x doesn't handle network latency well.
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

SparroHawc wrote:
Ryan wrote:But wouldn't it still be the same even thru a VPN? It's still going over the Internet either way, so the lag is going to be the same either way it would seem...
No - even if you're using a VPN it still has to be routed through every piece of hardware between you and your friend. Each time that happens, it takes a little longer for the packet to make the trip. Put simply, SNES9x doesn't handle network latency well.
That's what I meant. Creating a VPN via Hamachi won't suddenly sidestep the latency issues of the Internet, which is why I didn't understand how setting up Hamachi would make things any better.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Ryan wrote:
SparroHawc wrote:
That's what I meant. Creating a VPN via Hamachi won't suddenly sidestep the latency issues of the Internet, which is why I didn't understand how setting up Hamachi would make things any better.
Er, right. Then that's a yes, not a no. Reading comprehension fail. :/

I think Hamachi is just a simpler way to get past having to do port forwarding if you're behind a NAT.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

SparroHawc wrote:
Ryan wrote:
SparroHawc wrote: No - even if you're using a VPN it still has to be routed through every piece of hardware between you and your friend. Each time that happens, it takes a little longer for the packet to make the trip. Put simply, SNES9x doesn't handle network latency well.
Er, right. Then that's a yes, not a no. Reading comprehension fail. :/

I think Hamachi is just a simpler way to get past having to do port forwarding if you're behind a NAT.
Either that or temporarily networking two computers together over the internet (which a VPN is designed for).