Biggest complaints with snes9x.

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.

Biggest complaints with Snes9x.

compatibility
7%
customization
12%
lack of language support
7%
buggy/locks up
9%
to slow
5%
lack of suitable netplay
19%
controls hard to setup
10%
zipped snes9x scares me (I know you are out there)
4%
other (write a little about it below)
27%

Total votes: 94

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I have only one real ocmplaint about snes9x, that is the big black bar across the bottom of the screen. Other than that this is a damn-fine emulator.
Gogo
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Gogo »

yarr, that tiny tiny meager mere-speck of a bar is staying. It helps fix some other bug things and, if i recall correctly, does something with the aspect ratio to make it shiny. Should actually be a plethora of documentation of it around here somewhere, though maybe only on olde forum.
Go here: http://sgibbons.deviantart.com/
It has shiny shines! ~ UPDATED 01/23/2006
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Gogo wrote:yarr, that tiny tiny meager mere-speck of a bar is staying. It helps fix some other bug things and, if i recall correctly, does something with the aspect ratio to make it shiny. Should actually be a plethora of documentation of it around here somewhere, though maybe only on olde forum.
I use snes9x v1.41-1 because of that. I don't like the bars. And please don't get angry :roll: , it's just my point of view
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I don't mean to be negative, but i think nearly all the things listed on the poll i can complain about, reasons i dislike Snes9x mostly:

1) Its too slow (seems to be for me anyway)
2) Its got a crap GUI (well its not nessicary to have a nice GUI)
3) The sound quality is crap
4) Lack of filters like hq2x
5) with filters on it runs rubbish (ZSnes doesn't and I have a 2ghz system)

Snes9x is compatible and a fine product none the less.

Anyway, I always have ZSnes, these are just my views, i'm also from the same forum as clements is.
Koji
退職させる

Post by Koji »

And you are free to express your oppinions here just as clements is ^_^ .

You shouldn't be having any slow down with a 2 ghz PC though... that seems a little odd. If you are running anything over 800mhz you should be perfectly fine under most circumstances.
????????????
\"Once a fool, always a fool\"

Retired Tech Support mod.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

SqEn206 wrote:...I wish you could do stuff like map the turbo buttons seperately...
I know it's been mentioned a few times already, but I'd like to say that separate turbo button mappings would be an excellent idea. Otherwise, I have been very happy with Snes9x for years already. Great job!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The sound only really. I wish it had better interpolation.
Anonymous

multiple controllers

Post by Anonymous »

My only complaint is that I cannot get two seperate USB controllers to work on the same PC. This would be much better for me than having one person use the keyboard and the other the controller. If this is something I am mistaken about I would like to be corrected though:)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

My only complaint is the block resize after the resize of a sal/eagle filter
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

My biggest problem with Snes9x is that everyone keeps saying "This is not the thread where you discuss how to fix problems, make another thread and post it there." That annoys me because when you think about it, why else would people post their problems in here unless they were being ignored in their other threads. Thats my problem, there haven't been any updates in a while or bug fixes. Has the joypad problem been solved? Half the people here have to use a slew of different versions because not 1 version works correctly for everyone. That is my biggest complaint.
Koji
退職させる

Post by Koji »

DaFallus... you say your complaint was that we said you can't post in this thread (the thing you are reading right now) to get help to your problems. You have to post in the forum.

Second we have are developers working on the problems... the latest version is a work in progress. A work in progress version means you are to expect bugs and that you shouldn't have deleted your older version.
????????????
\"Once a fool, always a fool\"

Retired Tech Support mod.
Clintoris
Admin of Gayville, SD

Post by Clintoris »

I don't know, is there anything else to post here? I've been thinking of chopping off a few of these stickies. So if the developers have enough info, I'd like to delete them ,or move them.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Gogo wrote:yarr, that tiny tiny meager mere-speck of a bar is staying. It helps fix some other bug things and, if i recall correctly, does something with the aspect ratio to make it shiny. Should actually be a plethora of documentation of it around here somewhere, though maybe only on olde forum.
are you sure about the aspect ratio thing? I can understand the bug fixing thing, but I compare a snes on a tv screen to snes9x on a monitor side by side and it seems stretched wide on the monitor. or is that just me, that's how I see it. So if i'm right that's unacceptable, and now I don't mean that in a demanding way, I'm just saying. Or maybe i'm looking at it wrong and that doesn't apply to a fill-screen stretch? I don't know maybe someone can answer these questions for me.

But anyways yea, I vote "other". Pretty much that black bar at the bottom and the video features as a whole. I think regular hardware stretch would be better than OpenGL, which is the only way to get a smooth stretch. Not to mention that it takes a bit more resources, but that's just a small thing. So in conclusion I'd say the complaint is the video features.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Second we have are developers working on the problems... the latest version is a work in progress. A work in progress version means you are to expect bugs and that you shouldn't have deleted your older version.
Actually, I still use the older version but it has the exact same problem. In fact, I think the last three versions have the same problem. I don't mean to offend or anything, I'm just frustrated because I'm forced to use Zsnes and I hate it.
Gogo
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Gogo »

You will be happy to know that both those problems are being lheavily focues on right now (not right now, but i mean y know.. at this general time)
Anonymous

netplay desynchs

Post by Anonymous »

Koji wrote:Clements: Lan desync is due to having volume envelope height being on. Turn that off and LAN's should stay synced.
Seems that a lot of games have desync problems with netplay even after disabling this option... For example try ultimate mortal kombat 3 and let it run to the demo >> demos won't be the same on the 2 sides. What could introduce so much "randomness" in the snes emulation if emulators are reset at the exact same moment, share same sram file, don't use any RTC and receive same keypresses ?
Gogo
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Gogo »

maybe random chance... perhaps the game is ste to load one of several demos, for different characters, and chooses 1 oout of a list. It's like if you take 2 computers with winamp, make a list with the same 36 songs on both, set them to random, and open both at the same time.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The problem is that it don't happen only with demos or intros (i wouldn't mind) , for exemple in UMK3 there is a (random) sequence when your first caracter lose, if this sequence is not the same on every side there is desynch .... BTW it's not difficult for winamp to generate random numbers as there is a RTC in PC, but for snes I really don't understand ... Could a dev try to attempt a fix to have real sync in netplay as a S9xReset() or S9xNPreset() when emulation start is not enough ?
funkyass
Snes9x Blue Belt

Post by funkyass »

goebish wrote:The problem is that it don't happen only with demos or intros (i wouldn't mind) , for exemple in UMK3 there is a (random) sequence when your first caracter lose, if this sequence is not the same on every side there is desynch .... BTW it's not difficult for winamp to generate random numbers as there is a RTC in PC, but for snes I really don't understand ... Could a dev try to attempt a fix to have real sync in netplay as a S9xReset() or S9xNPreset() when emulation start is not enough ?
Not really high on our list.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

in my opinion snes9x it the best snes emu

i used zsnes for many years, now i switched, because
zsnes has a small transparency bug in punch out
(the numbers when u knock down an opponent are not transparent)
but snes9x has no probs with this
the 2nd reason why i switched is the build in support for s-dd1 games
and the windows-gui is better as the one from zsnes

the only thing which shoud be improved is the the sound engine
i posted a sound bug with wwf wrestlemania in another thread in the bug forum