Biggest complaints with snes9x.

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.

Biggest complaints with Snes9x.

compatibility
7%
customization
12%
lack of language support
7%
buggy/locks up
9%
to slow
5%
lack of suitable netplay
19%
controls hard to setup
10%
zipped snes9x scares me (I know you are out there)
4%
other (write a little about it below)
27%

Total votes: 94

Anonymous

what i think

Post by Anonymous »

only thing that bothers me with snes9x is the sounds, the slow sound speed on v1.42.. thats why i use v1.39 as the sound works fine but isnt emulated properly.. plus some of us havnt got NEW pc's some only have sad old pentium 2's :P

good job though on the emulator :) best one i have and play the most on
Koji
退職させる

Post by Koji »

Well 1.42 suffered a pretty bad performance hit... it's supposed to be a little better in the upcoming 1.43 unless something changes between now and when it's released.
????????????
\"Once a fool, always a fool\"

Retired Tech Support mod.
lantus
Snes9x White Belt

Post by lantus »

i ended up adding hq2x to a private xbox build i made last year. Its a nice filter. Im all for adding it into 9x CVS sometime. But its GPL source and im not sure what the official position to include GPL'd code is currently.
funkyass
Snes9x Blue Belt

Post by funkyass »

ask MaxST and get his permission.
Clintoris
Admin of Gayville, SD

Post by Clintoris »

I don't have much of a problem with the emulator. The only thing that really bugs me is when the sound either gets screwy, or just doesn't work properly. I remember when I was playing through FF3 some of the sounds were messed up. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it might have been the sound of the wind, and the sound that occurs when it's a characters turn. There were a few more, but it's been awhile. And yeah, I was using the new version. So I guess some of the sound issues would be my only complaint.
peter bortas
Snes9x Yellow Belt

Post by peter bortas »

lantus wrote:i ended up adding hq2x to a private xbox build i made last year. Its a nice filter. Im all for adding it into 9x CVS sometime. But its GPL source and im not sure what the official position to include GPL'd code is currently.
It's not so much policy as law. We simply can't link with GPLed stuff. LGPL is fine though.
Nach
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Nach »

peter bortas wrote:
lantus wrote:i ended up adding hq2x to a private xbox build i made last year. Its a nice filter. Im all for adding it into 9x CVS sometime. But its GPL source and im not sure what the official position to include GPL'd code is currently.
It's not so much policy as law. We simply can't link with GPLed stuff. LGPL is fine though.
We already link with GPL stuff from ZSNES. MaxST does give out permission to non GPL projects if you ask nicely.
funkyass
Snes9x Blue Belt

Post by funkyass »

Nach wrote:
peter bortas wrote:
We already link with GPL stuff from ZSNES. MaxST does give out permission to non GPL projects if you ask nicely.
there is a difference between me coping source from zsnes' CVS, and PF handing us code directly.

the latter is how it's been done.
Nach
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Nach »

funkyass wrote:
Nach wrote:
peter bortas wrote: It's not so much policy as law. We simply can't link with GPLed stuff. LGPL is fine though.
there is a difference between me coping source from zsnes' CVS, and PF handing us code directly.

the latter is how it's been done.
Yes. And we can do the exact same thing with MaxST.

For the record, I have copied stuff direct from ZSNES' CVS into Snes9x, but I was the one who put that stuff into ZSNES' CVS in the first place.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Just looked at the hq2x screenshots. Damn. I'd like to request support of hq2x, or at the least a bit of documentation for how to build Snes9X with hq2x/3x/4x support. The Mac folks have done it already; I suppose this means I might be able to figure it out myself.

Also, if there was an option to screenshot the display after the post-processing takes place, that'd be excellent. I can understand why it might not be possible, though.

Excellent work in general; I really can't complain about anything. (Well, OpenGL mode makes the emulator die---slow down to a crawl and become unresponsive---on v1.42 on this machine, and the window will sometimes resize itself to fill the screen without being maximized, requiring a bit of fiddling to get it back to a reasonable size. But those are pretty minor.)

Thank you much for the screenshot capabilities. Much appreciated.

--grendelkhan
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Top job on SNES9x people! Only problem I have is with the fact theres no wave dump feature :( -for those of us who like listening to SNES music. In fact theres not a single SNES emulator out there as far as I can see that does have one :cry: . The only emulators I have seen with wave dumps were meka for SMS and Gens for the Genesis/Megadrive.

I really wanted this feature.

Cheers, though. Snes 9x is still the best, in my opinion. :D
zones
Official Mac OSX Porter/Dev

Post by zones »

grendelkhan wrote:The Mac folks have done it already
It's 'unofficial' release and not supported in snes9x.com. As a dev member, I add hq2x to Mac port at the same time as Win32, if we get special permission from MaxSt.
SqEn206
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by SqEn206 »

Mad Hatter wrote:Top job on SNES9x people! Only problem I have is with the fact theres no wave dump feature :( -for those of us who like listening to SNES music. In fact theres not a single SNES emulator out there as far as I can see that does have one :cry: . The only emulators I have seen with wave dumps were meka for SMS and Gens for the Genesis/Megadrive.

I really wanted this feature.

Cheers, though. Snes 9x is still the best, in my opinion. :D
Well Zsnes can dump spc files for music (but then you'll have to get a winamp plugin for .spc files if you want to listen to them outside of a player made specifically only for .spc)
Gogo
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Gogo »

gee, and so can Snes9x... and it has been able to for a loooong time. though I admit, i don't think quite as long as zsnes.
Go here: http://sgibbons.deviantart.com/
It has shiny shines! ~ UPDATED 01/23/2006
SqEn206
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by SqEn206 »

yeah, forgot to mention snes9x can as well, my bad.
Nach
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Nach »

Gogo wrote:gee, and so can Snes9x... and it has been able to for a loooong time. though I admit, i don't think quite as long as zsnes.
ZSNES invented the SPC format, so no, not as long as ZSNES.
Koji
退職させる

Post by Koji »

Which I find ironic seeing as how SPC players were using Snes9x's source for their sound well before zsnes' ^_^
????????????
\"Once a fool, always a fool\"

Retired Tech Support mod.
Nach
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Nach »

Koji wrote:Which I find ironic seeing as how SPC players were using Snes9x's source for their sound well before zsnes' ^_^
Um...
The ZSNES team made the first SPC player.
Gogo
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Gogo »

I'm sure Koji was making reference to other third party players and plugins... It's only natural that zsnes would have created something to play the spc files you created on zsnes :P
Go here: http://sgibbons.deviantart.com/
It has shiny shines! ~ UPDATED 01/23/2006
Nach
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Nach »

Having the 3rd party people rip code from Snes9x instead makes sense, I believe the source for Snes9x was open for quite a while before ZSNES, and Snes9x is in easy to read C/C++.