GTK/X11 Port (aka Linux/UNIX GUI)

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
Screwtape
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Screwtape »

BearOso wrote:
Screwtape wrote:While it's true that libsnes was designed around bsnes's implementation, it *looks* like it should be generic enough to wrap any SNES emulator... out of curiosity, what are the pain-points for snes9x?
Nothing impossible. For instance, the save-states are hard-coded to read/write from files and in most cases use zlib, so there's not a consistent way to get a block of data. The whole input layer would need another layer of indirection around it.
Although I'm sure you've already seen this, I thought I should mention that Themaister of the bsnes forums wrote a proof-of-concept implementation of "libsnes9x".

It doesn't support all the libsnes APIs; in particular it doesn't handle cheats, non-joypad controllers, or the more esoteric cart types (BS-X, ST, SGB), but it seems to be a decent start.
vanfanel
Snes9x White Belt

Post by vanfanel »

I'm testing latest 1.52 (testing 1.53) sources in the googlecode repo.

Vysnc setting in OpenGL seems to be ignored. Worked fine with older versions.
It's set to 1 in my snes9x.xml file, too.

I can get Vysnc, but I have to activate my nvidia driver's vsync settings, wich is not desirable.

Can you please try to reproduce it?
Remember: no driver's vsync must be set for vsync to work, as it did before.

thanks
vanfanel
Snes9x White Belt

Post by vanfanel »

I'm testing latest 1.52 (testing 1.53) sources in the googlecode repo.

I can get Vysnc, but I have to activate my nvidia driver's vsync settings, wich is not desirable.

thanks
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Post by BearOso »

vanfanel wrote:I'm testing latest 1.52 (testing 1.53) sources in the googlecode repo.

thanks
Ok, this probably stems from a change in driver behavior. I've added support for GLX_EXT_swap_control, which supports per-drawable configuration, and that seems to fix things up. This might also fix zombie_ryushu's problem.
vanfanel
Snes9x White Belt

Post by vanfanel »

@BearOso:

Just compiled the latest sources in GitHub.
The vsync option is working again, as you suspectec, sir :D
consider it fixed for me, thanks!
RealGecko
Snes9x White Belt

Post by RealGecko »

I run Snes9x 1.52 gtk 79 under Mandriva Linux 2010.
Everything works perfectly except that I cannot "quicksave", snapshot file is not created whatever I do. I`ve tried almost everything. Quicksaving from menu, from shortcut, to preferences folder, to ROM folder, to custom folder. The funniest thing is that I`ve downloaded winduz build of Snes9x 1.52 and run it under WINE. Snapshot files created by winduz build can be quickloaded from Linux build if placed in right directory. It means that Linux build can unpack and load snapshots, but cannot create them by himself
How can this be fixed?
BearOso

Post by BearOso »

RealGecko wrote:I run Snes9x 1.52 gtk 79 under Mandriva Linux 2010.
Everything works perfectly except that I cannot "quicksave", snapshot file is not created whatever I do. I`ve tried almost everything. Quicksaving from menu, from shortcut, to preferences folder, to ROM folder, to custom folder. The funniest thing is that I`ve downloaded winduz build of Snes9x 1.52 and run it under WINE. Snapshot files created by winduz build can be quickloaded from Linux build if placed in right directory. It means that Linux build can unpack and load snapshots, but cannot create them by himself
How can this be fixed?
If I recall, this was a permissions problem. First, try the revision 81 snapshot, and if you still can't create any files then make sure your folders are writable and executable.
badinsults
Snes9x White Belt

Post by badinsults »

Is it just me, or does pages 29 and 30 lead to a "page not found" error?
Screwtape
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Screwtape »

The "last pages don't work" is a known issue: http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4739

I wonder if maybe this topic should be locked and we could start a new one without this problem, whatever it is.
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

badinsults wrote:Is it just me, or does pages 29 and 30 lead to a "page not found" error?
it's not just you. page 28 and 29 produce errors here.

it's a bug in the software, IIRC.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
sbasalaev
Snes9x White Belt

Russian translation

Post by sbasalaev »

Hi, I've made Russian translation of GTK interface. To where I may send my .po file to be included in snes9x-gtk?
BearOso

Re: Russian translation

Post by BearOso »

sbasalaev wrote:Hi, I've made Russian translation of GTK interface. To where I may send my .po file to be included in snes9x-gtk?
Sorry I missed your message, but I've been neglecting this thread a bit.

You can attach the .po to an issue at the github repository at: https://github.com/snes9xgit/snes9x/issues

There have been some string changes for the recent release, though, so if you're going off the 1.52 version there might be things left untranslated. I'll probably have to do a translation tarball or something if more updated translations come in.
sbasalaev
Snes9x White Belt

Post by sbasalaev »

Ok, I updated gettext pot against the latest rev. But now I'm screwed because just cannot understand - how to attach file to the issue? There's just no such option
zombie_ryushu
Snes9x White Belt

Minor performance issues with some PAL games.

Post by zombie_ryushu »

I have been running Terrinigma for the PAL SNES and have noticed garbled audio and slow down when text is displaying with sound effect distortions. I recommend this be investigated.
zombie_ryushu
Snes9x White Belt

Kernel update to 2.6.38 causes strange full screenn issues.

Post by zombie_ryushu »

When running from OpenBox, occasionally, the image can be cut off at the bottom of the screen like the whole image has been shifted down. It still plays normally, but it is quite unusual. when I run it in an XTerm, this does not happen.
BearOso

Re: Kernel update to 2.6.38 causes strange full screenn issu

Post by BearOso »

zombie_ryushu wrote: I have been running Terrinigma for the PAL SNES and have noticed garbled audio and slow down when text is displaying with sound effect distortions. I recommend this be investigated.
We're probably switching to byuu's SMP for the next release, so that might fix this. I'll see if I can reproduce that.
When running from OpenBox, occasionally, the image can be cut off at the bottom of the screen like the whole image has been shifted down. It still plays normally, but it is quite unusual. when I run it in an XTerm, this does not happen.
Could you post a screenshot? This does seem unusual. Are you running with video-mode-switching enabled? Either way, OpenBox might be setting the window size correctly but not positioning it where it's supposed to be. It's likely X asynchronously changing the order of the configure events and OpenBox not force-syncing or checking the operations are complete.
zombie_ryushu
Snes9x White Belt

Video switching mode...

Post by zombie_ryushu »

Yes I am. I'm running a backport of the latest OpenBox. 3.4.11.2-7mdv2010.2 // main-backports (Mdv, 2010.1, i586), main-backports (Mdv, 2010.2, i586), main-backports (Mdv, current, i586)

This is the new version

3.4.11.1-1mdv2010.1 // main-release (Mdv, 2010.1, i586), main-release (Mdv, 2010.2, i586), main-release (Mdv, current, i586)

Old version.
zombie_ryushu
Snes9x White Belt

Video switching mode...

Post by zombie_ryushu »

Yes I am. I'm running a backport of the latest OpenBox. 3.4.11.2-7mdv2010.2 // main-backports (Mdv, 2010.1, i586), main-backports (Mdv, 2010.2, i586), main-backports (Mdv, current, i586)

This is the new version

3.4.11.1-1mdv2010.1 // main-release (Mdv, 2010.1, i586), main-release (Mdv, 2010.2, i586), main-release (Mdv, current, i586)

Old version.
Dissection
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Dissection »

every time I try to execute pre compiled binary version of snes9x gtk 1:53, displays the following error:
snes9x-gtk: error while loading shared libraries: libpng14.so.14: can not open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried to use Kubuntu and Mandriva and it always happens.

I had to compile it from source code, but i can not do the work Joysticks, only the keyboard.

I've seen in some other forums people with different Linux distributions but with this same problem.

pre-compiled binary version of snes9x gtk 1.52, had no such problem.
gorgyboy
Snes9x White Belt

Post by gorgyboy »

Hi

I'm using the last source available snes9x-gtk 1.53.

I got this problem while trying to create a template with "intltool-update -p" for a new translation.

can't open ./../src/snes9x.glade: No such file or directory at /usr/bin/intltool-extract line 212.
xgettext: error opening the file "../src/snes9x.glade.h" for reading: No such file or directory
ERROR: xgettext failed to generate PO template file. Please consult
error message above if there is any.

It seems that the glade.h doesn't exist or is not part of the source anymore.

Can somebody help with this?