An interesting bit of info and mystery regarding SNES emulation

Here you can talk about anything not covered by the other forums. Please post in the Tech Support forum for problems using Snes9x.
Ryan
Grand Poobah

An interesting bit of info and mystery regarding SNES emulation

Post by Ryan »

So I noted the other day that Youtuber Modern Vintage Gamer had put up a video about a SNES emulator named Silhouette, supposedly a secret development of Nintendo, or so his video title suggests. I assumed it was just the name of whatever they used for the SNES Classic and skipped watching it. Today though, I decided to give it a watch. As the end of the video gets about mid-point, he was tipped off by something and found that Silhouette had some of the same graphics glitches as an early build of Snes9x for the Xbox, and decompiled what he had and found references to Snes96 in the Silhouette code. There's a lot of inference and implication, MVG doesn't make any hard assertions, but the comments certainly seem to be leaning towards the person who released Silhouette to be Gary Henderson, and that the whole back story of how it came to be is probably fabricated, but who knows. I'm certainly amused and a little curious as this seems to be from around the time Gary was receding from activity on Snes9x and close to when it went open source. I was incredibly new to emulation then. Anyway, I thought it was amusing and interesting, curious what others might think.