Controller for use with Android?

Here you can talk about anything not covered by the other forums. Please post in the Tech Support forum for problems using Snes9x.
Katie
Snes9x White Belt

Controller for use with Android?

Post by Katie »

Hi, I just installed the Android version and tried a few games and it seems really nice. However, using my phone or tablet's touchscreen to control it is just awful. Not being able to feel the buttons makes it really easy to miss a button press. Are there any Android compatible game controllers? Maybe either wireless bluetooth or USB-C?
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Re: Controller for use with Android?

Post by Ryan »

Are there any Android compatible game controllers?
If they're bluetooth, then they'll be compatible. The Xbox One controllers will work, a few of the latest Sony Playstaion controllers will, and there are others by brands like SteelSeries and 8BITDO. This Android Authority article is brief but names a few. I bought a SteelSeries Free a few years ago. Nice and compact so it can be put in a pocket but not so small as to be unusable and it's rechargeable via micro USB. Seems the replacement for the Free is the Stratus if you want that compact size, or the Stratus 2 if you like something Xbox controller sized and shaped.
redleg13b85
Snes9x White Belt

Post by redleg13b85 »

I use a PS4 controller.
mikegonzalez2k
Snes9x White Belt

Post by mikegonzalez2k »

You can use any controller. All you need is an OTG Cable which will adapt your MicroUSB or USB Type C connection to a regular USB 2.0.
Then either Dualshock controllers or Xbox controllers will work. There is a way to get the SNES Classic controller to work as well, but it's a bit more complex because of the adapters required.