The AVI Recording Feature is Awful

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
Skye
Snes9x White Belt

The AVI Recording Feature is Awful

Post by Skye »

This isn't a bug report per se, but I'm not sure where else to put this.
The smv recording feature is fine. The AVI recording feature is not. It outputs bloated video files where a minute of footage is 200 MB because it records at ~28 mbps and uses outdated video codecs. Videos recorded using this feature also seem to have slightly more saturated colors than they should have.
I would just use an external recording program, but I don't know how to hide the HUD that shows up when you're playing an smv file, and footage recorded by the internal recorder looks smoother than anything I can record with external program.
I don't expect a major change to this feature, but please, at least make it so that the bitrate can be set manually, or have the bitrate default to ~6000 kbps instead of ~28 mbps.
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Re: The AVI Recording Feature is Awful

Post by Ryan »

Moved to the public dev forum because IMO it's more geared toward this sort of gripe.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Re: The AVI Recording Feature is Awful

Post by OV2 »

The avi recording feature uses the old video for window interface to record and access codecs.
If you install one that is available via that interface you can get an acceptable bitrate. For example you could install XVid, which still contains a vfw interface, or try x264vfw.
You'll need the appropriate version (i.e. a 64bit version if you use the 64bit version of s9x) - I know that XVid for example provides both versions.