How to Add Rom Cover Art to SNES9x on Wii?

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
confusedmoon2002
Snes9x White Belt

How to Add Rom Cover Art to SNES9x on Wii?

Post by confusedmoon2002 »

Hi all, thanks in advance for any assistance! I'm new to Wii modding (just started this week as another quarantine project) and I had some questions regarding the SNES9XGX emulator. I've been loving it so far, by far the best Wii emulator I've found yet. But I had a question about further mods with it. I was wondering how I can add cover art for the roms on the right side of the screen where it currently just shows a static image of a Super Famicom. I've found a ton of conflicting information in my research... Some saying I have to install a separate mod, some saying I don't. All of the videos on the topic are several years old and are likely out of date. I see that the emulator contains files for "cover" and "artwork" but when I added a .PNG file for Chrono Trigger's cover art (first rom alphabetically) it didn't work, even when formatting its name exactly the same as the rom. Can I add the art files directly or do I really need a second mod, and if so, how would I add that? Thanks again, any help would be really appreciated!
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: How to Add Rom Cover Art to SNES9x on Wii?

Post by odditude »

you're better off looking here - http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Snes9x_GX
Novan
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Novan »

I’m having the same problem too and I haven’t found any help. The link that the other person sent doesn’t help me and I’ve been trying to figure this out for a while. I got into Wii hacking in July, got this as one of my first emulators and have been trying to figure out how to add covers ever since.
j_cadaverous
Snes9x White Belt

Post by j_cadaverous »

Hit me up, I can help you with this.
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

j_cadaverous wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:45 pm Hit me up, I can help you with this.
Why not just reply with how to do it and help a bunch of people?
j_cadaverous
Snes9x White Belt

Post by j_cadaverous »

If you want the shortcut and no explanation, I can just paste some links to download the covers and the scrolling cover mod version of snes I use (if google drive links are allowed). You can use the covers in vanilla snes9x; you don't need the scrolling cover mod.

If there are covers you would rather use, I can explain it and you can re-share it if you want. It's no big secret or anything, just don't always have the time to post stuff in here.

Same applies for FCEUGX (NES) and VBAGX (Gameboy/Advance) emulators.

The gist of it is that the image has to be a specific size, bitrate, has to be a .png, and (as you already noted) named exactly the same as the rom it corresponds with. It doesn't even have to be a legit "cover". you can use any image you want as long as it meets the requirements.

I'll get into the specifics tomorrow when I have a little more time, if you want.
RedTony
Snes9x White Belt

Post by RedTony »

Hi everybody.

I was looking for the same thing and am happy to see this thread is active, particularly thanks to @J_cadaverous

If you could paste an example of how you have configured snes9xgx to show the covers I would be really thankful.

In my case I have the No-Intro SNES romset, as well as the No-Intro set of covers. All of them in .png format, with exactly the same names as the game ROMs (ROMs are in .zip files, nonetheless).

For example, for the ROM "Aladdin (Europe).zip" I have a "Aladdin (Europe).png" in the folder "snes9xgx/covers", size 96kb, 512x357 pixels.
In snes9xgx I have correctly configured the path of artwork to "snes9xgx/covers" and selected the type of art as "covers".

But still, nothing is shown on the right side except for the gray snes icon. Is the problem possibly that the resolution is not correct?

Thanks a lot for the help!
Regards,
Tony
j_cadaverous
Snes9x White Belt

Post by j_cadaverous »

Hi Tony,

You had most of it correct: Images should be .png and named exactly as the rom they correspond with.

Here's what else you need to do: Set your image resolution to 316x224 and make sure the image bit depth is 32-bit. You can use a free image editor like GIMP to do this. I used it to make some custom covers for rom hacks. Theoretically, you can use any image you want as long as it meets the criteria.
RedTony
Snes9x White Belt

Post by RedTony »

Thanks for the clear answer, J_cadaverous!

I will change the resolution as 316x224 with 32bit depth and hopefully post a screenshot :D
j_cadaverous
Snes9x White Belt

Post by j_cadaverous »

Hey Tony,

Any luck?
RedTony
Snes9x White Belt

Post by RedTony »

Hi J_Cadaverous. Sorry after you gave me the solution I slacked a bit, as I found it a bit annoying having to resize all the covers.
I can confirm the trick was indeed the resolution, and by the way I found a quick manner to bulk resize all the covers: this website works like a charm.

Even with delay thanks a lot for your help :D