Recent 9x sound improvement

Here you can talk about anything not covered by the other forums. Please post in the Tech Support forum for problems using Snes9x.
papercut
Snes9x White Belt

Recent 9x sound improvement

Post by papercut »

Hi all. Recently I made post about a situation with sound, but this weekend I noticed something great:

Windows 10 updated, but it left my PC a little whacked and running choppy so I had to do the light system restore, and uhhhhhh, now the 9x sound is running crystal clear. My specific pet peeve was when there were too many background music elements (like, the limit of different instrumental tones) all other sound effects during play would cause the music to suffer. I forget what they are called (the different cycles?) but "extraneous" lines in the music would cut out (like the treble melody or the percussion beats would like palsy). Basically like the gameboy occasionally overloading. This was driving me nuts, because I know the PC has a more advanced processor than the emulator. I don't have very technical skill (as long as the user friendly option is there, I basically understand) with computers, but even the overclocking option did nothing. Is overclocking only for the GPU?

I double checked to see if the settings were just all set back to default, but they were not. I'm baffled but not unhappy, and I want to post this to say if there were any plans to re-tool the snes9x, that the sound is golden, please don't even try!!! For the umpteenth time, thank you for the snes9x, it has saved me from a life of Indiana Jones cartridge hunting (and probably a teeny bit of ostracism after the age of 40 @o@ )!!
Jesse00
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Recent 9x sound improvement

Post by Jesse00 »

This can speed up your CPU — and therefore speed up your computer if your computer is limited by its CPU — but the CPU will produce additional heat. It may become physically damaged if you don’t provide additional cooling, or it may be unstable and cause your computer to blue-screen or restart.
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

Jesse00 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:13 pm This can speed up your CPU — and therefore speed up your computer if your computer is limited by its CPU — but the CPU will produce additional heat. It may become physically damaged if you don’t provide additional cooling, or it may be unstable and cause your computer to blue-screen or restart.
I am thinking he meant the in-emulator overclocking options, not overclocking his computer.
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

papercut wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:33 pm (and probably a teeny bit of ostracism after the age of 40 @o@ )!!
Haha, are you kidding? Plenty of us middle-agers in the retrogaming and emulation scene. I imagine a lot of the folks who wrote the current retro emulators are also our age or older for the most part.
Jesse00
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Jesse00 »

Ryan wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:09 pm
Jesse00 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:13 pm This can speed up your CPU — mycfavisit and therefore speed up your computer if your computer is limited by its CPU — walmartone but the CPU will produce additional heat. It may become physically damaged if you don’t provide additional cooling, or it may be unstable and cause your computer to blue-screen or restart.
I am thinking he meant the in-emulator overclocking options, not overclocking his computer.
Oh I'm sorry. I didn't notice the intent exactly.