Odd problem with the diagonal controls.

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
KoopaTroopa1116
Snes9x White Belt

Odd problem with the diagonal controls.

Post by KoopaTroopa1116 »

I'm using a Playstation 3 DS3 controller with the SCP (Scarlet Crush Productions) driver. The control test for the driver itself shows that when I push down and right on the d-pad both buttons register as working at the same time, as well as any other combination of two adjacent diagonal inputs on the d-pad. The windows gamepad properties screen also shows that the diagonals for the d-pad are working properly. However while playing on snes9x after mapping the controls on the d-pad so that up is up, down is down, etc, and all diagonal slots disabled, the emulator won't accept my diagonal inputs. I am playing Super Metroid and if I push a diagonal combination then the buttons cancel and nothing happens (ie: I hold down and right at the same time and Samus neither runs right nor crouches and just stands still). Using both buttons at once is necessary to execute a shinespark which I know I've done playing with snes9x on an older computer. Any idea why the diagonals might be acting so faulty? I've looked through the settings and found nothing that seems to fix it. Some solutions I have found mentioned a "toggle diagonals" button which I haven't found searching through the settings.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Re: Odd problem with the diagonal controls.

Post by OV2 »

KoopaTroopa1116 wrote:and all diagonal slots disabled
That is probably your problem - if your diagonals are reported as a POV hat you need to map the diagonals.
KoopaTroopa1116
Snes9x White Belt

OV2 wrote:
KoopaTroopa1116 wrote:and all diagonal slots disabled
That is probably your problem - if your diagonals are reported as a POV hat you need to map the diagonals.
Alright, but how would I go about mapping the diagonals so that up and to the right on my controller's d-pad will correspond properly? When I try to map it that way it only accepts either right or up for up-right diagonal and not both at the same time. Aside from this, on my older computer running snes9x, I didn't need to map the diagonals specifically because like an SNES controller, the game would accept an up input and right input at the same time as an up-right input. I tried mapping up, down, left and right using my controller's joystick rather than the d-pad and it allowed me to do the diagonal commands in game without directly mapping diagonal commands in the input config. I want to be able to do this with my d-pad though, because for classic games a stick is just no good.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

Try holding up, then click into the "Up Right" box, then also press right.

Alternatively you can open the snes9x.conf file and map them manually, should be something like "(J0)POV Up Right".
KoopaTroopa1116
Snes9x White Belt

OV2 wrote:Try holding up, then click into the "Up Right" box, then also press right.

Alternatively you can open the snes9x.conf file and map them manually, should be something like "(J0)POV Up Right".
This fix worked although programming the diagonal controls in was still a little buggy and weird to do. I found the only way to make it work was to hold the direction, (ie up-right) on my controller and then go into input and click on the appropriate diagonal box. Then before programming any other diagonals I had to click ok and hold another direction and return to the input menu. If I didn't do it this way it would sometimes change boxes I had already set controls in. Thank you for the help.
cjohnk
Snes9x White Belt

Post by cjohnk »

I cannot get this to work with the 8bitdo sn30 pro+ controller. It's not registering when I press diagonally, it it automatically switches to the next input after pressing a button. Also, I cannot right-click paste my entry in the input field. Does anyone have an idea what the config file is named, so that I can manually enter it?
AjimaruGDR
Snes9x White Belt

Post by AjimaruGDR »

I had the same issue with my 8bitdo controller and fixed it by pressing "up and left" etc on the d-pad while configuting the last four input fields in the input configuration menue.
acepicklerick
Snes9x White Belt

Post by acepicklerick »

Havox2K wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:03 am I know this thread is old, but i got my xbox 1 controller to map the "up right" and so on binds by running the program as admin. Once i ran as admin, i just clicked in the field and hit up and right on the d-pad at the same time and it worked, even tested it in chrono trigger. Also i didn't try it but i'd assume you will get the same result with a joystick. Hope this helps someone! :D
I made an account just to thank you for this! So simple it's genius. This should be stickied somewhere or in a FAQ cause I've been looking for this fix for a long time.