Sudden Audio Crackling?

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
SnesFan413
Snes9x White Belt

Sudden Audio Crackling?

Post by SnesFan413 »

I've been using Snes9X for a while now, and all of a sudden I've started experiencing bizarre audio crackling while I'm playing games. It varies in intensity depending on what track is being played, but it's almost always there to some extent. What's really odd is that it just started happening out of the blue. I was in the middle of a game when it started happening, and barring me accidentally pressing a hotkey or something like that, I didn't change any of the audio settings. I've tried two separate speakers, both of which experienced the crackle when playing audio from snes9x, and neither of which output any crackle when playing any other audio. Does anyone know why this is happening?
Deathlike2
Snes9x Brown Belt

Re: Sudden Audio Crackling?

Post by Deathlike2 »

If it is a recent issue, there is likely something your system is causing it happen. It could be an issue with resource contention (eg. background apps interfering with audio output). This assumes that you aren't changing any settings. Ideally, you want to run the emulator's sound frequency value at 32Khz (or whatever frequency that is more friendly to your sound card to avoid significant resampling artifacts) and try other audio drivers in Snes9x (favor XAudio2 over WaveOut in Windows for example). You may want to also try using other video rendering output (OpenGL, Direct3D, DirectDraw) which may solve the issue.

Without more information (Snes9x version, brief system specs, etc.), it may be difficult to diagnose. I've had audio problems before where a reboot would briefly solve it (although this was back in the older Windows 9x days).
Continuing FF4 Research...