[Request] WarpSharp filter?

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
Andreas.Sepp
Snes9x White Belt

[Request] WarpSharp filter?

Post by Andreas.Sepp »

Hi all :D
Is there any possibility of a warpsharp visual filter? The warpsharp filter (as seen in virtualdub) can create tremendous images out of the native small snes image as seen in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU_l6I3OfdA&hd=1

from my understanding, the video was created with the avi-output from an older snes9x version, resized and was applied the warpsharp filter.

So, could it be possible?

Greetings!
A.S.
Screwtape
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Screwtape »

It sure looks pretty similar to HQ2x. I mean, WarpSharp sure does very well for cartoons, but SNES games (and in particular, that Terranigma intro) use a lot more texture in each scene than, say, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

As far as I know, the only SNES emulator that allows pluggable third-party video-filters is BSNES; if you can pick through the warpsharp code and port it to the API that bsnes uses for filters, you could use that.
Andreas.Sepp
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Andreas.Sepp »

Very interesting, got some screenshots from HQ2X-B and WarpSharp:

From the youtube video:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7922/warpsharphd2.jpg
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9799/warpsharp2hd2.jpg

Snes9x Screenshot HQ2X-Bold:
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/1999/hq2xbhd2.jpg

To me the warpsharp screens look really neat, maybe the overall quality can be improved by applying it directly in the emulator. Someone should give this a try :D
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

I've been trying to track down how that video was made, and how WarpSharp works. Reading the comments on the video, there were multiple filters used in VirtualDub to create that video, not just WarpSharp. I'm not sure you could get identical results in realtime.

WarpSharp is used to eliminate blurring and halos around hard edges, like you sometimes get in hand-drawn animation. It may have some beneficial effect on SNES images, but only after using some method to blur the image initially.
Andreas.Sepp
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Andreas.Sepp »

Hey :D

Do you mean there is something essentially different to just applying the WS-filter?

I tried to find out and wrote a message to the guy, he seems to resize and "remaster" a lot of stuff on his channel. I may have misunderstood things because my lack of knowledge of filters and stuff, but as far as I could read out of it, it was resizing and applying the warpsharp method.

I could post the guy's message, it's in German though.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

The main problem is that the only C/C++ implementations out there are avisynth or virtualdub filters, both released under GPL2, which is incompatible with snes9x's non commercial license.
Andreas.Sepp
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Andreas.Sepp »

@SparroHawc, think you are right. I have tried to resize a Snes9x screenshot with the warpsharp filter, to wsharpen and resize, use the included warpsharp-resize filter and the results look horrible.

I have also tried to do a warpsharp over filtered screenshots, I tried them all there is on v1.52, but nothing looks even close to the video. And I'm talking here of resolutions of something like 1280x800, the video states that it's running at 2048x1536... That's insane...

At least, wsharpening the original sized screenshot looks pretty neat, so there seems to be something to it. :?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Well, if he's running at this resolution, he's probably pixel... quadrupling?
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

He -might- be starting with something like Eagle Super Sai and -then- warpsharping it...