Snes9x for Android phones?

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Snes9x for Android phones?

Post by adventure_of_link »

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ON7D617R

from some guy named John Muir:

Binary is unsigned, so won't install on an android w/out enabled unsigned sources.

It's located in the source tree under project/bin/DrPocketSNES.apk. If you're not familiar with apk files, they're zips much like java war files. For pure source, anything under /bin can be nuked.

The only real modifications I had to make, aside from correctly setting up the build environment was uncommenting the assembler (the original is still there as .s files, modified as .S files).

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

And he's not claiming as own/asking for donations?
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
adventure_of_link

Camo_Yoshi wrote:And he's not claiming as own/asking for donations?
Doesn't look like it. He stopped by my IRC the other day asking about snes9x, and I said give credit where it's due, distribute the license along with it, and DON'T sell it for a profit. :?

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Doesn't look like it. He stopped by my IRC the other day asking about snes9x, and I said give credit where it's due, distribute the license along with it, and DON'T sell it for a profit. :?
Dude, this is awesome! Someone who ported this to a mobile platform and not violating the license!
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
adventure_of_link

Camo_Yoshi wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
Dude, this is awesome! Someone who ported this to a mobile platform and not violating the license!
yeah, tell me about it. :/ I wish John would come in for some more input on this port... and if someone here actually has a 'droid could give this thing a test-go..

EDIT: Oh shoot, I read over that IRC log and he had trouble registering.. I'll have to fix that.. UGH. :|

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

jrmuir
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jrmuir »

So here's the scoop.

tvrlooeid (whoever that is) released the source I used at http://code.google.com/u/tvrlooeid/ based on files on sourceforge that were released by the SNesoid 'author' Yong here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/androidemu/. I can no longer find the snes archive at the sourceforge project site, but there is still code at sourceforge for a nes emulator and a genesis emulator (gensoid and nesoid respectively, I believe, which he also charges for). Yong goes by freeman_zy on sourceforge and sourceforge lists him as "Zhang Yong".

I'm working on making a few tweaks to the source. I already renamed it to drpocketsnes representing what it truly is. Thinking about renaming/refactoring the 'com.androidemu.*' bits to 'com.snes9x.*' but not sure how badly that will break things. Also removing the 'search for roms' link. Unfortunately I don't know arm (or any) assembly so trying to import changes to the snes9x tree to the droid might be difficult at best, but there certainly is room to improve the wrapper as it's missing some controls for things like layers, game speed/pause, gamma settings, show fps, cheats, and more. Also the on-screen controls are missing buttons, so hero users can get direction control and start/select but not sure how they're supposed to press a/b/x/y or the shoulder buttons.

Any improvements I make are going to be cosmetic or at most very lightly functional in nature. I don't really care about cheats, and my device has a real keyboard but I can see the merit of looking into usable virtual buttons. Not sure if I can do that or not though ;) This is the first android app I've really delved into.

John
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Either way I wish you luck.
And I wish I could afford a Droid.
jrmuir
Snes9x White Belt

Repository for it

Post by jrmuir »

http://code.google.com/p/androiddrpocketsnes

I've made a few changes from the one I forwarded on that's on megaupload above-- fully implemented the virtual keypads with some buttons. Not sure how well they work because I don't use 'em.

Also added a download for just the apk file so if someone wants to pull down a copy they can.