Snes9X EX (port for Android, iOS, WebOS)

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
nakid
Snes9x White Belt

Post by nakid »

I'm using snes 9x ex on ipod 4th gen - it works great.
But I've encountered a bug with save system: I was playing FFVI, and at one point I decided to load game (not from save state, from game save), resetted the game and the last save was like about 1-2 hours ago, while i saved like 10 times in this 1-2 hours.
I can reproduce this buy saving (selecting "save" in FFVI in game menu) and killing snes 9x ex process. After starting app again in-game saves and save sates wont have anything from a game session which process i've terminated.

Any advice on this?
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

SparroHawc wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
SparroHawc wrote:Of course, it might be a nice option for iPads.
so what, what about droid pads :P
erk... Droid pads too, yes. Or as odditude mentions, anything that does higher res. I should be keeping that in mind, as I own an Android device myself. c_c
does the HTC Evo 3D do higher res?

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

thou shalt know thine own smartphone :p

evo 3d does qHD.
Mindphaser
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Mindphaser »

Is there a way to scale the screen size to a different setting on the iOS port? Basically I'm trying to make the display smaller, more like iMasterGear or iMAME4all so the buttons don't cover the playing area as much.

Basically the bottom area is blank so I can line the buttons up.
ayjis
Snes9x White Belt

Post by ayjis »

I was using an app called SNesoid recently but it started crashing randomly every 10 minutes or so and losing all progress. I switched and am running Snex9x EX 1.4.3 on Android 2.3.4.

Snes9x EX is having the same exact crashing problem. I started the game over and everything. I'm using a different rom, on a different emulator, with a different save file. What's the deal here?

My phone is the Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch on Sprint. Is there known issues on this device? It crashes to home screen every 6-10 minutes.
Last edited by ayjis on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
arek920
Snes9x White Belt

Post by arek920 »

I downloaded snes9x ex for my xperia play, but I am unable to change my frameskip to 1 so i can take away some of the input lag.

The inpug lag is very noticable and makes games like Megaman X really hard to play. Is there a way to put it to 1 in xperia play? It only gives the options "auto" and "0"
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Frameskip: Auto -should- make it so that the frameskip adjusts to let the emulation keep up with how fast it's supposed to run, and remove any input lag. There's probably some obscure differences with the Xperia Play. I'm not sure we'll get a fix until Rakashazi has one to test on. :/

As for the Galaxy SII... Did SNesoid have the crashing problem when you first got it? There might be another app conflicting with it or something.
BEan
Snes9x White Belt

Post by BEan »

I just ran into a major problem with the android version with the SIXAXIS app.

link to the sixaxis app
http://market.android.com/details?id=co ... scontrolle
and developer
http://www.dancingpixelstudios.com/

This app allows the use of ps3 sixaxis/dualshock3 controllers on android. The way it works is that it maps buttons on the controller to a IME keyboard. This thing is great with snes9x and a ps3 controller. SNES9x ex just thinks I am using hardware keys.

The problems comes when you are trying to use a 2nd ps3 controller. From what I can tell, every player must use a separate input all together. The second controller uses different keys on the keyboard and snes9x ex will not let 2 players share the keyboard.

To give you a clearer picture of whats going on, here is how the ps3 controllers are bound to android controls on my tablet.

Code: Select all

[b]PS3 BUTTON: PLAYER 1: PLAYER 2[/b]
LEFT:  DPAD_LEFT:  *
RIGHT: DPAD_RIGHT: #
UP: DPAD_UP: A
DOWN: DPAD_DOWN: B
SELECT: BACK: C
START: DPAD_CENTER: E
HOME (PS LOGO): HOME: D
SQUARE:0: F
TRIANGLE:1:G
CIRCLE:2:H
X:3:I
L1:4:J
L2:5:K
R1:6:L
R2:7:M

Analog sticks are default to simulate the same as the dpad. Also if its running on gingerbread, the Xperia play PS3 controls are available. 
arek920
Snes9x White Belt

Post by arek920 »

Seiken Densetsu 3 doesn't work on the latest version of SNES9x EX. It glitches out on file select and in game.

This sucks, because the input delay was the reason I didn't play it before on 1.4.3 even though it worked perfectly, and now that it has been fixed and is great now on my xperia I was really looking forward to finally starting up SD3 too :(
Rakashazi
Official iOS & Android Porter

Post by Rakashazi »

arek920 wrote:Seiken Densetsu 3 doesn't work on the latest version of SNES9x EX. It glitches out on file select and in game.
Just uploaded the latest 1.4.7.1 which fixes the issue.
BEan wrote: The problems comes when you are trying to use a 2nd ps3 controller. From what I can tell, every player must use a separate input all together. The second controller uses different keys on the keyboard and snes9x ex will not let 2 players share the keyboard.
Separate inputs per player on one device are planned for a future update. I'm also doing some research into native Sixaxis support.
Maniaxx
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Maniaxx »

Where do you upload the files? I cannot find it in the Android market.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Maniaxx wrote:Where do you upload the files? I cannot find it in the Android market.
http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex/downloads
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
Maniaxx
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Maniaxx »

Thanks!
dataDave
Snes9x White Belt

Post by dataDave »

I don't know if this is the right place for this... but the sounds seem quite crackly and glitchy on Xperia Play running 2.3.4. Some effects lose parts of their sound, especially noticeable on repeated noises (such as jumping Mario). Tested at all frequencies and screen sizes and the same issues are common throughout.

Games run perfect. It's just the sounds. :( This seems to be the same issue across all emulators. Is the device simply not up to the job? It really is a shame, especially for CPS emulation as even games like Gigawing and Mars Matrix run perfect with no sound... enable the sounds and lag begins to crop up everywhere. :(

Thanks.
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

dataDave wrote:I don't know if this is the right place for this... but the sounds seem quite crackly and glitchy on Xperia Play running 2.3.4. Some effects lose parts of their sound, especially noticeable on repeated noises (such as jumping Mario). Tested at all frequencies and screen sizes and the same issues are common throughout.

Games run perfect. It's just the sounds. :( This seems to be the same issue across all emulators. Is the device simply not up to the job? It really is a shame, especially for CPS emulation as even games like Gigawing and Mars Matrix run perfect with no sound... enable the sounds and lag begins to crop up everywhere. :(

Thanks.
Sound actually works okay for me in Super Mario World; I've actually been having issues with certain Aero the Acro-Bat 2 BGMs fading out after ~10 seconds or so.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
dataDave
Snes9x White Belt

Post by dataDave »

A small update from me regarding the audio issues:

I recently changed over the stock SE ROM to CyanogenMod 7.2.0 and DooMKerneL so that I could free up more RAM and overclock/control the CPU when emulating games. Within Snes9X the sound samplings are now fixed and complete, although I'm still getting the odd crackle and pop. Compared to my other R800i handset which is still running the stock ROM/kernel the difference is easily noticeable.

I noticed on one of the other emulators I tried out that there was a slider-scale option for smoothing out the crackle at the expense of some extremely slight (IMO, unnoticable) audio delay. Any chance we can have something like that for Snes9X EX?

I'm more than willing to donate a nice sum for perfect emulation. I'm extremely fussy/anal when it comes to emu, and only perfect is good enough (ie: Wii VC standards). Great job so far though, we're almost there. :D
Finger eleven
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Finger eleven »

mrbonner wrote:Hey was wondering will cheats be available soon for these ports?
Was wondering the same thing. When would the use of Game Genie/Action Replay codes be available? Been using some crappy emulator unstable emulator to play with codes.
feyerbrand
Snes9x White Belt

Post by feyerbrand »

I have a Tablet called

Velocity Micro T103 with Android 2.2.1 Froyo and a MIPS JZ4760 Processor that isn't compatible with the SNES 9X EX. I was wondering if there was anyone willing to work on porting this over or if they have any information on how to do it I am willing to tinker with it to make it a wider supported application. Please Advise
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

feyerbrand wrote:I have a Tablet called

Velocity Micro T103 with Android 2.2.1 Froyo and a MIPS JZ4760 Processor that isn't compatible with the SNES 9X EX. I was wondering if there was anyone willing to work on porting this over or if they have any information on how to do it I am willing to tinker with it to make it a wider supported application. Please Advise
If you can find a development setup that lets you compile a 'Hello World' APK for your device, let us know and we might be able to get the same setup and compile a new APK for your device.
shivansps
Snes9x White Belt

Post by shivansps »

at the mips developer site you have avalible for download the Mips Android NDK and SDK.
http://developer.mips.com/android/download-android-ndk/

the NDK allows to compile the libs for your code for mips whiout any change to the source code.