Snes9X EX (port for Android, iOS, WebOS)

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
Pierrot
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Pierrot »

I currently own a Galaxy Nexus and I'm having an issue running the game on Landscape.

Whenever the game starts in landscape, the emulator would crash a few seconds later.

Was wondering if anybody has a solution to this (other than running the game in portrait, seems to work fine in that mode)

Also, how do you do a save state, I don't seem to have an option for returning to the snes9x menu screen

Thanks
altoiddealer
Snes9x White Belt

Post by altoiddealer »

I prefer to have the aspect ratio set to 1:1, and I also prefer to use smaller button sizes and spacing. So I change those settings.

However, every time that I exit the app, the settings revert back to the defaults.

Is there any way to make the changes stick?

Thanks!
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Odd - I make the changes and they stay put just fine. Does it forget all your settings each time you quit and restart, or just those?
altoiddealer
Snes9x White Belt

Post by altoiddealer »

It happens every time. By the way, I always exit by pressing the corner, scrolling down and pressing "Exit" (I never press the Home button)

I change the Aspect Ratio to 1:1, the Button size to 6.5 mm, and the button spacing to 2 mm. When I exit, the settings revert on the next launch back to 4:3, 7mm size and 1mm spacing. And this is right after I exit the app~ I am not even locking or rebooting my device

Snes9x EX ver. 1.4.8-armv7 (Nov 24 2011)

on iTouch 4G ios 5.0.1

PS~ I have the same exact same problem with Nes.emu
Pierrot
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Pierrot »

yay - 1.4.11 fixes my problems :D
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

That sounds like a permissions issue, but I don't see how that could be the case... Very strange.
altoiddealer
Snes9x White Belt

Post by altoiddealer »

SparroHawc wrote:That sounds like a permissions issue, but I don't see how that could be the case... Very strange.
If there's any more information that I could provide to help, I would be glad to.

I disabled some apps that I thought could possibly cause a conflict or something (Winterboard, Iconoclasm, Color Keyboard, and Springtomize) but the issue persists.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

I'm trying to dig through the Android file system and find the location where the SNES9x EX preferences get saved, but I'm not having any luck.

Rakashazi, you willing to shed some light on the situation?
altoiddealer
Snes9x White Belt

Post by altoiddealer »

I'm trying to dig through the Android file system and find the location where the SNES9x EX preferences get saved, but I'm not having any luck.
Its on an iTouch 4G ios 5.0.1 :?
Benedict
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Benedict »

dont know if this is the right place to post this but... been using snes9x for android for sometime now and it works great. would be great though if i could assign the volume buttons on my phone to say x or y buttons. atleast on uae4droid i can assign the volume buttons to anything...
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

altoiddealer wrote:
Its on an iTouch 4G ios 5.0.1 :?
Oh. Erm. I'm not sure how much help I can be, then. I've never owned an Apple product. You'll have to wait for Rak to come around and see if he can troubleshoot the problem.
Rakashazi
Official iOS & Android Porter

Post by Rakashazi »

altoiddealer wrote:However, every time that I exit the app, the settings revert back to the defaults.
On iOS this is normally caused by the /User/Documents directory having incorrect permissions, make sure it's owned by user "mobile" and not "root". It's possible another package from Cydia installed files here and incorrectly set the permissions.
SparroHawc wrote:I'm trying to dig through the Android file system and find the location where the SNES9x EX preferences get saved, but I'm not having any luck.

Rakashazi, you willing to shed some light on the situation?
The Android config file directory is supplied by the OS when the app starts so it may not be in the same place on all devices. You can however clear it out and restore the default settings by going to your Android settings app and finding Snes9x EX under the Manage Applications menu, then select Clear Data.
altoiddealer
Snes9x White Belt

Post by altoiddealer »

Rakashazi wrote:On iOS this is normally caused by the /User/Documents directory having incorrect permissions, make sure it's owned by user "mobile" and not "root". It's possible another package from Cydia installed files here and incorrectly set the permissions.
There is no "User/Documents" folder, so I'm really not sure what folder I should be checking the permissions of. Could you tell me exactly where the preferences should be saving? Thanks!
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

altoiddealer wrote:There is no "User/Documents" folder, so I'm really not sure what folder I should be checking the permissions of. Could you tell me exactly where the preferences should be saving? Thanks!
There should be a /User folder in the root directory of the iOS device (it's a link to /var/mobile). Under that you should have a set of folders called Applications, Documents, Library, and Media.
altoiddealer
Snes9x White Belt

Post by altoiddealer »

Rakashazi wrote:
altoiddealer wrote:There is no "User/Documents" folder, so I'm really not sure what folder I should be checking the permissions of. Could you tell me exactly where the preferences should be saving? Thanks!
There should be a /User folder in the root directory of the iOS device (it's a link to /var/mobile). Under that you should have a set of folders called Applications, Documents, Library, and Media.
hmm well I just have Applications, Library and Media :?

I'm using ios 5.0.1 so my guess is that they did away with that directory altogether with this version. Still not sure what to do :P
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

If it's gone, you can easily re-create it by logging in via SSH as the mobile user (default password is alpine), then running the following command:

mkdir /User/Documents
altoiddealer
Snes9x White Belt

Post by altoiddealer »

Rakashazi wrote:If it's gone, you can easily re-create it by logging in via SSH as the mobile user (default password is alpine), then running the following command:

mkdir /User/Documents
Wow I can't believe it! Just adding that directory fixed the problem :P

THanks!! That has been really bugging me :)
BEan
Snes9x White Belt

Post by BEan »

I know its been a while.

By chance will there be an update to use the native gamepad support in android +3.0? I am running the current version and I am still having that issues with trying to use more than one controller trying to use the same input.

The reason I am asking is because I am using ICS on my nook and the sixaxis app I used has been updated to use the gamepad features. So far it doesn't look like I can properly map player 2 to the second ps3 controller or android controller.

Also the on screen controls are huge on my screen with the current options.
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

altoiddealer wrote:Wow I can't believe it! Just adding that directory fixed the problem :P
Just did some testing on iOS 5.0.1 and indeed the Documents folder is gone by default so new users aren't getting their settings saved. I'll release 1.4.15 soon which moves the config files to /User/Library/Preferences
BEan wrote:By chance will there be an update to use the native gamepad support in android +3.0? I am running the current version and I am still having that issues with trying to use more than one controller trying to use the same input.
I'm hoping to get this done within a few more updates, need to make some more adjustments to properly handle and save per-player inputs.
BEan wrote:Also the on screen controls are huge on my screen with the current options.
If you measure the length of the A button with a ruler, does it match the size listed under On-screen Config? If not, your device is probably reporting the wrong DPI and you'll need to use the DPI override option with the correct value.
BEan
Snes9x White Belt

Post by BEan »

Rakashazi wrote:
BEan wrote:By chance will there be an update to use the native gamepad support in android +3.0? I am running the current version and I am still having that issues with trying to use more than one controller trying to use the same input.
I'm hoping to get this done within a few more updates, need to make some more adjustments to properly handle and save per-player inputs.
BEan wrote:Also the on screen controls are huge on my screen with the current options.
If you measure the length of the A button with a ruler, does it match the size listed under On-screen Config? If not, your device is probably reporting the wrong DPI and you'll need to use the DPI override option with the correct value.
Glad to hear that you are going to do the native gampad support. That is what I need most.

Also I figured the issue with my large buttons. I never set the screen mode to landscape. When the screen is tilted it either fixes itself or screws up. Set it to landscape and everything is good.

Also could you set it up so that I could have an on-screen menu button in the black bars? even with the dpad screen disabled.