Feature request

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
handle
Snes9x White Belt

Feature request

Post by handle »

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there's a new version of Snes9X after 1.51 in the pipeline (for Windows)? I'm not begging or whining for one - I was wondering if you guys would consider expanding the amount of cheat codes to a limit of 3,000?

At the moment I can only enter 81 cheat codes.

Also, is there a possibility of adding some way to batch-add the codes so we don't have to put them in one at a time?

Thank you for your time :)

handle
Deathlike2
Snes9x Brown Belt

Re: Feature request

Post by Deathlike2 »

handle wrote:Hi guys,

I was wondering if there's a new version of Snes9X after 1.51 in the pipeline (for Windows)? I'm not begging or whining for one - I was wondering if you guys would consider expanding the amount of cheat codes to a limit of 3,000?

At the moment I can only enter 81 cheat codes.
In most cases, you really don't need that many. I'm not saying it shouldn't be expanded, but managing that is not a worthy cause.
Also, is there a possibility of adding some way to batch-add the codes so we don't have to put them in one at a time?
You should be hoping someone is nice enough to provide a cht generating utility. The emu tends to not need that kind of flexibility for this alone.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

You could try txt2cht.
Takes a txt file in the form

Code: Select all

CODE1 NAME1
CODE2 NAME2
and creates a cht file (takes ARPro and GameGenie codes).

If the first parameter is a cht file it will generate a txt file.
handle
Snes9x White Belt

Post by handle »

Thank you for helping, but it's giving me an error when trying to open it.

The error is "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail."

I'll check the event log and try to make sense of the info so I can make it work!

cheers
OV2

Post by OV2 »

Sorry about that - download and try again, it should work now.
handle
Snes9x White Belt

Post by handle »

[quote="OV2"]Sorry about that - download and try again, it should work now.[/quote]

Cheers :)

How do I use it if you don't mind? When I open it, a black DOS box appears and then closes straight away...

I'll try running it in other compatibility modes...
OV2

Post by OV2 »

Sample usage:

Code: Select all

C:\>txt2cht.exe "Fire Emblem 4.txt"
Input File: Fire Emblem 4.txt
Output File: Fire Emblem 4.cht
Cheat:  Address:  Byte:  Name:
     0  007E0D59     28  ARtestcheat1
     1  007E2A6E     15  ARtestcheat2
     2  0002BC98      0  GGtestcheat1
handle
Snes9x White Belt

Post by handle »

So I need to put that in the DOS box that the file brings up? If so, I can't because it closes straight away...

*edit*

I get it. lol... I think...
handle
Snes9x White Belt

Post by handle »

I'm sorry I have no idea where to type that, but thanks anyway. :)

time to give up!
handle
Snes9x White Belt

Post by handle »

Well I've managed to insert 131 codes but now Snes9x won't load the game. I used vSNES's cht editor. I'll see if the same cheat file will work in zsnes...
handle
Snes9x White Belt

Post by handle »

I've put the cht file in the zsnes directory but it won't load into the emulator. :(

Would it be possible to make Snes9x handle 3,000 cheat codes? Or would it be (from a coding perspective) a lot of work?

I know you guys probably won't want to do it, I'm just wondering if it's even feasible...

many thanks
Deathlike2
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Deathlike2 »

handle wrote:I've put the cht file in the zsnes directory but it won't load into the emulator. :(
You need to actually hit the load button..., it won't be auto-loaded unless you check the option AND reload the game.
Would it be possible to make Snes9x handle 3,000 cheat codes? Or would it be (from a coding perspective) a lot of work?
The format itself has a limitation (I forget what was the actual reason), so the limit is more like 100 IIRC. 3,000 is unrealistic as I said before. You will never use or even manage 3,000 normally speaking. This is not meant to be used to store a mega cheat database.
handle
Snes9x White Belt

Post by handle »

[quote="Deathlike2"]You need to actually hit the load button..., it won't be auto-loaded unless you check the option AND reload the game.[/quote]

I have but there are no codes shown in the Browse option.

[quote="Deathlike2"]The format itself has a limitation (I forget what was the actual reason), so the limit is more like 100 IIRC. 3,000 is unrealistic as I said before. You will never use or even manage 3,000 normally speaking. This is not meant to be used to store a mega cheat database.[/quote]

Damn! I do actually have over 2,850 codes to use but I can't use them due to this limit.

Ah well... I don't suppose I could pay anyone to do it?

handle
OV2

Post by OV2 »

The current limit in snes9x 1.51 is 150.

I don't get why you need all those cheats at the same time...
handle
Snes9x White Belt

Post by handle »

[quote="OV2"]The current limit in snes9x 1.51 is 150.

I don't get why you need all those cheats at the same time...[/quote]

I have found the cheat to have maximum land value for Sim City. Unfortunately it's not just one code. Each code covers a small square of the map area. In order to cover the entire map, it will take 2,850 squares. On top of that, I also have other cheats for this game, so I would need to add those as well.

Like I say, I am willing to pay someone to do this (if it's even possible). Please let me know if anyone's interested.

cheers
OV2

Post by OV2 »

Here is a version with the limit set to 3000. I didn't test it with that many, and it could be that it affects performance, but you are welcome to try.

http://download.sessionclan.de/overfien ... cheats.zip
Last edited by OV2 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
handle
Snes9x White Belt

Post by handle »

Oops, the land value cheat is 3,000 codes not 2,850!

You, sir, are the king of men. Thank you very much for increasing the limit.

I have so far entered 2,950 cheats. It seems to crapout at about 50-100 codes before the limit.

If I may ask, would you be ok with increasing the limit once more to 3,500? That should definitely get all the cheats in.

As for performance - I haven't noticed any issues - but then Sim City doesn't really tax the emulator I guess...

many thanks - by the way, where can I make a donation to the Snes9x cause (via PayPal)?
OV2

Post by OV2 »

I've updated the link above.
Bluartisteyes
Snes9x White Belt

About that limit thing

Post by Bluartisteyes »

I was wondering if there is any chance you could double the code limit you gave him, cuz I have a really fast pc that handles this fine, but I also have another almost 3000 codes to remove all pollution from the map. and since the limits there I can only use the one set or the other in case anyone like the other guy on here that was asking for the limit adjustment is interested the code starts at 7E0D0000 and goes to same middle four as the land value 7E76B700 by the way my guess is 7D0D0000 is another attribute like traffic or something and possibly 7C0D0000 cuz the pattern is apparent now that we have two.
handle
Snes9x White Belt

Post by handle »

Hooray for hardcore sim city fans!! Check this out http://skeleten.awardspace.com/ - best viewed in Internet Explorer.