GTK/X11 Port (aka Linux/UNIX GUI)

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
zombie_ryushu
Snes9x White Belt

Full screen bug persists.

Post by zombie_ryushu »

Full screen bug persists. I had to omit snes9x-gtk from the Youtube Video I shot because in WahCade, snes9x-gtk launched behind Wahcade and it looked ugly having to alt_tab snes9x-gtk into the foreground. This bug should be put as high priority.
zerojay
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Full screen bug persists.

Post by zerojay »

zombie_ryushu wrote:Full screen bug persists. I had to omit snes9x-gtk from the Youtube Video I shot because in WahCade, snes9x-gtk launched behind Wahcade and it looked ugly having to alt_tab snes9x-gtk into the foreground. This bug should be put as high priority.
Set Wahcade to automatically minimize itself when snes9x-gtk starts and you won't have this problem.
zombie_ryushu
Snes9x White Belt

WahCade doesn't do that.

Post by zombie_ryushu »

WahCade doesn't do that. And this is not a bug in WahCade. Even launching snes9x-gtk from the command line can cause problems, like all the windows in the system resizing.
zombie_ryushu
Snes9x White Belt

Fullscreen Bug persists.

Post by zombie_ryushu »

The code for full screen needs to be re-written to use SDL correctly.
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Re: Fullscreen Bug persists.

Post by BearOso »

zombie_ryushu wrote:The code for full screen needs to be re-written to use SDL correctly.
It doesn't use SDL--that would necessitate it using SDL for its video functions, and I'm not going to do that. It wouldn't help the problem anyway because we would have to encapsulate the SDL video, and it wouldn't have a top level window.
BearOso

Post by BearOso »

zombie_ryushu, would you mind checking out the latest SVN changes. I've tested this code with Wah!Cade and Snes9x doesn't appear behind it with either kwin 4.4.0 or metacity 2.28.0.
zombie_ryushu
Snes9x White Belt

SVN heckout.

Post by zombie_ryushu »

I forgot the command to check out the latest SVN.
zombie_ryushu
Snes9x White Belt

As far as I can tell...

Post by zombie_ryushu »

It is still resizing every application on my desktop when it runs. But it is spawning in the foreground.
BearOso

Re: As far as I can tell...

Post by BearOso »

zombie_ryushu wrote:It is still resizing every application on my desktop when it runs. But it is spawning in the foreground.
I can't fix the resizing thing in this program. It's a bug in the window manager related to the desktop shrinking when the resolution is decreased. You can work around it by not using the "Change Desktop Resolution" option. If you're using either the Xv or OpenGL driver, doing this will have no performance impact. If you're really concerned about the bug, or need the lower resolutions for some reason, you need to bother the developers of your window manager about it--they're the only ones who can fix it.
Tukuyomi
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Tukuyomi »

It's been a while since I updated the french translation for snes9x-gtk, so here is the .po file for v79:
http://88.191.30.201/~tukuyomi/stuff/sn ... v79.po.bz2
Itserpol
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Itserpol »

I'm having a little bit of a problem with my joypad. I use a Super Smartjoy USB adapter for my SNES controller and it works perfectly fine both in Windows and every other Linux based emulator I've tried (VBA-M, DeSmuME, and Mupen64Plus). But, for some reason Snes9x GTK won't detect the input when I try to configure the controls.

Am I missing something stupidly simple?
BearOso

Post by BearOso »

Itserpol wrote:I'm having a little bit of a problem with my joypad. I use a Super Smartjoy USB adapter for my SNES controller and it works perfectly fine both in Windows and every other Linux based emulator I've tried (VBA-M, DeSmuME, and Mupen64Plus). But, for some reason Snes9x GTK won't detect the input when I try to configure the controls.

Am I missing something stupidly simple?
You've probably got one of those libjsw calibrations messing things up. Remove any .joystick files in your home directory and reboot/reload the joystick driver. Don't run any calibration programs--they remap the axes to a [0, 255] range instead of [-32768, -32767] like they're supposed to be.
Itserpol
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Itserpol »

I've never run any kind of joystick calibration program and there aren't any .joystick files in my home directory.
BearOso

Post by BearOso »

Then the only thing I can think of is that your binary may have been compiled without joystick support (See Preferences->Version Info, and look after "Features" for "Joystick").

Another thing that throws people off is that you need to have the joystick plugged in and have the operating system recognize it before starting Snes9x.
Itserpol
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Itserpol »

Aha, that was it! I added "joystick" to my USE flags in Portage (I'm running Gentoo), and now it works like a charm. Thanks!
inukaze
Snes9x White Belt

GamePad

Post by inukaze »

Hi There , i have installed "Snes9x-gtk" for Lucid Repository , and test too , the "Snes9x-gtk" i386 Binary from Google Code.

But with both , i can configure my gamepad , but in the GamePlay of Snes Roms , nothing responder from Gamepad , but the Keyboard works without trouble.

Well , i going to compile manually . See ya.

Well if i installed Snes from you PPA , forzing the "Karmic" Version , or Compiling Manually Snes9x-gtk from Sources , the Gamepad works :D
Screwtape
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Screwtape »

Is it possible to prod the Ubuntu PPA and make it build a 1.52.79 package for lucid?
LiquidAcid
Snes9x White Belt

Post by LiquidAcid »

@BearOso: Hi, I just wanted to ask in which repository the main development of snes9x now happens now that snes9x-gtk got merged into mainline. Is it the snes9x-gtk repo that's hosted on GoogleCode?

Also great job on the GUI and the rewrite of the sound backend!

Greets,
liquid
Screwtape
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Screwtape »

Screwtape wrote:Is it possible to prod the Ubuntu PPA and make it build a 1.52.79 package for lucid?
For anyone else who has this question, it turns out that 1.52.79 is in the official Ubuntu Lucid repository, and the PPA is unneeded.