GTK/X11 Port (aka Linux/UNIX GUI)

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
DaVince
Snes9x White Belt

Post by DaVince »

Rather than making it an option, only the joypads section really needs such keys. It'd be nice if you made a distinction between left shift and right shift etc. too (I generally have shift as Select (I know, weird) but when I want to save with Shift+F1 that Shift would be in the way, so I'd have to use the other Shift).
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

DaVince wrote:Rather than making it an option, only the joypads section really needs such keys. It'd be nice if you made a distinction between left shift and right shift etc. too (I generally have shift as Select (I know, weird) but when I want to save with Shift+F1 that Shift would be in the way, so I'd have to use the other Shift).
Don't worry, you're not the only one with using shift as Select. :P
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Post by BearOso »

DaVince wrote:Rather than making it an option, only the joypads section really needs such keys. It'd be nice if you made a distinction between left shift and right shift etc. too (I generally have shift as Select (I know, weird) but when I want to save with Shift+F1 that Shift would be in the way, so I'd have to use the other Shift).
Ok, I made this option available for the joypad buttons in SVN. (It's a checkbox that uses modifiers directly by default). You can use any combination of combos and modifier keys directly as needed this way.

While doing this, I noticed that XInput 2.0 (which comes with the next X.org server) is removing the ability to use the XTest screensaver hack, so I'll have to go back to XResetScreenSaver and add xdg-screensaver support before the next release.

Also, I noticed that the tooltips in preferences have disappeared somewhere along the line. I probably won't fix this quite yet because I don't want to have to re-add everything for two ui files. I might also use this opportunity to clean things up and switch to GtkBuilder.
BearOso

Revision 78

Post by BearOso »

A new revision is available.
inukaze
Snes9x White Belt

PPA For Ubuntu & Debians , and another things

Post by inukaze »

hi there , you can add the PPA of Snes9x-gtk ^^

you can run the follows commands in a Terminal / Konsole / X-term ^^ :

gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv C71839136CF5CE97 && gpg --export --armor C71839136CF5CE97 | sudo apt-key add -

sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bearoso/ppa/ubuntu lsb-release main #Snes9x-gtk" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'

sudo apt-get update

And Ready you had Add the Snes9x-gtk Repository ^^

If you dont have installed yet , use Synaptic or the next command :

sudo apt-get install snes9x-gtk

^^ That its all.
###############################################

BearOSO , i use another emulator for GBA, is a version called "VisualBoyAdvance - Merge" , the homepage of forum is : http://vba-m.com/forum/visualboyadvance ... ml#pid3366

I wanna know if you can help they to make and more Awesome Port GTK , well the Port is maked but the emulator use more options what dont have Menu in the GTK Gui , for Example : "Cheats" ( For use GameShark and Similars in ROMS ) , too i dont dont why the emulator if i had opened the "Emesene" the emulator dont start , but the Snes9x-gtk , i think , if you can help we ( the final user ) we had more Stables , and Complete Emulators ^^

###############################################
===============================================

Well really i use muchs emulators. I list here :

fceux ( Nes Emulator ) + gfceux (Gtk Front-end) {I dont like this i wanna GUI Snes9x Style for this class of Emulator , well i just think}

Snes9x-gtk ( SuperNes Emulator ) ( i dont use anymore Zsnes ) {Gtk Ported }

Gens { Sega Master Drive / Sega Genesis Emulator } { GTK Ported }
Generator { This is use more in Mac OS X }

Mupen64 { Nintendo 64 Emulator }
Mupen64Plus { Awesome Nintendo64 Emulator }

Yabause-gtk ( Sega Saturn Emulator }
lxdream { Sega DreamCast Emulator }

pSX { Awesome emulator of PlayStation 1 / PSX } ( dont requiere config except the Controls / Input } { Excelent for Final Users } ( Is GTK Ported is excelent }

PCSX-Df { Emulator of PlayStation 1 }

ePSXe { The Gui are very old , but i think this its the Best Emulator }

sdlmame { Emulator for Arcades }

mednafen { Emulator of : Nes , GameBoy / Color / Advance , Sega Master System , PC-Engine , TurboGrafx , WonderSwan }

mednafenfe { Front-end for Mednafen }

DosBox { Emulator of MS-D.o.s - for very old PC Games }

GR-Lida { Front-End for DosBox , ScummVM }

ScummVM { Virtual Machine for Graphical Adventure VideoGames of PC } ( you can play Broken Sword I & II , The Day Of Tenclate , Maniac Mansion with this without Problems }

Well i just remember this Few Emulator because for me this emulators works better anothers , and well dont be sad , if just Snes9x-gtk , Vbam , pSX, Yabause-gtk ( or Yabause-qt for KDE ) , are the Uniques with a decent GTK Port

I just think we need more programers like BearOSO , to make Awesomes GUIs in GTK ^^ For Gnome Users and QT for KDE

===============================================
zombie_ryushu
Snes9x White Belt

An irritation with Save state consitency

Post by zombie_ryushu »

I am a bit perterbed about the way snes9x uses saves states vs. the way just about every other Emulator does it.

The 1, 2, 3... keys are usually reserved for selecting your save state slot, and then F5 is used for saving your state and F7 loads your state. snes9x-gtk is the only emulator that uses Shift+1 to load a state. This is very confusing, really.

Gerbilsoft's Gens/GS uses F5 and F8
ZSNES uses F1 and F2 for some strange reason.
Mednafen uses F5 and F7
FCEU uses F5 and F7
Nesticle uses F5 and F7.

I really wish snes9x-gtk's save state behavior looked more like other emulators. This other scheme has caused me to over write save states before.

Also, snes9x-gtk's fullscreen behavior is still a little wonky. It still resizes my windows in KDE.
DaVince
Snes9x White Belt

Re: An irritation with Save state consitency

Post by DaVince »

zombie_ryushu wrote:I am a bit perterbed about the way snes9x uses saves states vs. the way just about every other Emulator does it.

The 1, 2, 3... keys are usually reserved for selecting your save state slot, and then F5 is used for saving your state and F7 loads your state. snes9x-gtk is the only emulator that uses Shift+1 to load a state. This is very confusing, really.

Gerbilsoft's Gens/GS uses F5 and F8
ZSNES uses F1 and F2 for some strange reason.
Mednafen uses F5 and F7
FCEU uses F5 and F7
Nesticle uses F5 and F7.

I really wish snes9x-gtk's save state behavior looked more like other emulators. This other scheme has caused me to over write save states before.

Also, snes9x-gtk's fullscreen behavior is still a little wonky. It still resizes my windows in KDE.
VBA (and its predecessor VisualBoy) and snes9x use F1 to F10 for loading and saving. Oswan (a Wonderswan emulator) does it the same way for F5 to F10. So it's not all that different. Plus snes9x-gtk easily allows you to change these key bindings.

While's there no slot switching mechanism, it'd be weird to change the behaviour of the GTK version from the original version, and would be confusing to anyone getting this version after having used the original for a good amount of time.

I personally always found F5 and F7 less convenient as I'd make the mistake of pressing the load button instead of the save button more quickly (especially since the keys are close). If there's a shift modifier it'd be the difference between typing a 1 and a !, so a person's already used to handling keys with or without shift.
kolechovski
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by kolechovski »

Yeah, having used emus like Nesticle, I must say I'm in favor of the shift+Fkey to save, and plain Fkey to load. You can easily overwrite with the F5/7 thingy when you're in a hurry. It sucks that there never was an official emulator standard, but this method seems best. In fact, I think FCE Ultra even works on this basis now.
The soldier was forced to desert his dessert in the desert.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

kolechovski wrote:Yeah, having used emus like Nesticle, I must say I'm in favor of the shift+Fkey to save, and plain Fkey to load. You can easily overwrite with the F5/7 thingy when you're in a hurry. It sucks that there never was an official emulator standard, but this method seems best. In fact, I think FCE Ultra even works on this basis now.
Yeah, I also prefer this kind of save method as well, it just makes sense. FCE Ultra, Project64, Handy, VBA, Project Tempest, and many others do this as well.
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
zombie_ryushu
Snes9x White Belt

Window resizing

Post by zombie_ryushu »

Well, Window Resizing is still an issue in snes9x-gtk, and I really wish it were fixed.
tijs
Snes9x White Belt

Post by tijs »

hey,

is there a way, to make multitap as a default input? I was glad to make my 4 controllers available in snes9x, but I had to reconfigure every restart. thanks!
zerojay
Snes9x White Belt

Post by zerojay »

I'm seeing a *LOT* of skips and hiccups in v78. Some are minor frameskipping, others are full second-long drops which are easily noticable when listening to music, even just sitting on a menu screen. The game I've noticed the problem on the most so far was Uniracers, but it's systemic and all over the place. These problems were all seen on the PS3, but also appear to happen on my Linux PC as well.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

It's probably that you're running lots of background processes or your PC is too low end to run snes9x-gtk.
zerojay
Snes9x White Belt

Post by zerojay »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:It's probably that you're running lots of background processes or your PC is too low end to run snes9x-gtk.
No, it's not. My PS3's specs haven't changed between earlier versions which were perfectly smooth and v78.
uncholowapo
Snes9x White Belt

Post by uncholowapo »

When I try to build v79 on my PS3, around the part where it starts to compile the gtk_glade.o or something like that, my RAM and Swap both fill up in a second and my system slows to crawl. I can confirm that with earlier versions that this doesn't happen and compiling other programs doesn't do this. I used

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=/usr --without-opengl --with-netplay
As soon as this happens, the object file never actually finishes compiling and leaving it on overnight still has, to my dismay, the thing "compiling."
BearOso

Post by BearOso »

uncholowapo wrote:When I try to build v79 on my PS3, around the part where it starts to compile the gtk_glade.o or something like that, my RAM and Swap both fill up in a second and my system slows to crawl. I can confirm that with earlier versions that this doesn't happen and compiling other programs doesn't do this. I used

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=/usr --without-opengl --with-netplay
As soon as this happens, the object file never actually finishes compiling and leaving it on overnight still has, to my dismay, the thing "compiling."
I imagine it's actually the hq2x filter that's actually doing this. I'll have an option in future releases to disable compiling the filters.
badinsults
Snes9x White Belt

Post by badinsults »

Would it be possible to get some file folder select options? I like to keep my screenshots, save files, and savestate files in separate places, and not in the hidden .snes9x folder.
BearOso

Post by BearOso »

badinsults wrote:Would it be possible to get some file folder select options? I like to keep my screenshots, save files, and savestate files in separate places, and not in the hidden .snes9x folder.
Yes, definitely. I've added an issue to the bug tracker here: http://code.google.com/p/snes9x-gtk/issues/detail?id=31. Let me know if those are suitable separation categories.
badinsults
Snes9x White Belt

Post by badinsults »

BearOso wrote:
badinsults wrote:Would it be possible to get some file folder select options? I like to keep my screenshots, save files, and savestate files in separate places, and not in the hidden .snes9x folder.
Yes, definitely. I've added an issue to the bug tracker here: http://code.google.com/p/snes9x-gtk/issues/detail?id=31. Let me know if those are suitable separation categories.
looks good!