GTK/X11 Port (aka Linux/UNIX GUI)

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
D--
Snes9x White Belt

Post by D-- »

http://cinnamonpirate.com/pub/misc/loon ... mipsel.deb

Fully profiled Snes9x-gtk for the Lemote Yeeloong laptop (Loongson 2F CPU). Xvideo may have problems on the Fulong 2F box since it doesn't have a SiliconMotion video card, though it should work perfectly on the Gdium (SM512?).
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Post by BearOso »

I pushed out a new release. This will probably be the last one before I get it into some sort of public version control. I still haven't managed to locate Ezekiel000 and others' amd64 load state crashing bug.
D-- wrote:Sound is also doing this weird thing where it keeps speeding up and slowing down. Tried all three cores but the problem seems present everywhere. Is it a throttling issue?
Did you manage to figure this out yet? I'm wondering if your sound card is trying to do some sort of resampling to a native fixed rate, or if you have a sound server like PulseAudio trying the same. Did you try increasing the sample rate to something like the common 48kHz, or messing with the buffer size to try and even things out? As an aside, I do know that if you set the frameskip to a fixed rate like 0, it will drop the sound speed to sync with the game if it slows down.
D--
Snes9x White Belt

Post by D-- »

Frameskip was auto. I set the sound to 48000 and it seems to have mostly gone away. For reasons unknown I *can't* output sound at 44100 (not that this affects your default 32000, just an observation).

I'm sure all of this is caused by the AMD CS5536 integrated controller that provides my ISA bridge, audio and USB ports. I know, I know, onboard audio sucks. It's a UMPC so you can hardly expect Turtle Beach to be in there.
Ezekiel000
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Ezekiel000 »

Synaptic is complaining about the OpenPGP key:
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 6AF0E1940624A220
Last edited by Ezekiel000 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BearOso

Post by BearOso »

There's a google code project now: http://code.google.com/p/snes9x-gtk/. Any bugs can be submitted there so they don't get lost, and there's a subversion repository that I'll be using from now on. Downloads will also be moved there, starting with the next release.
Ezekiel000
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Ezekiel000 »

Are you going to keep the launchpad ppa repository open?
D--
Snes9x White Belt

Post by D-- »

Fix has been sent to the mipsel mailing list. It may work its way to Lemote.

You can get a patched SiliconMotion driver and Snes9x-gtk (now with the hack removed) from my Loongson package repository: http://medan.cinnamonpirate.com/

Code patch off lemote.r02 revision of the driver is available here: http://medan.cinnamonpirate.com/xserver ... .r03.patch. Please note the lemote fork is slightly different than the one byuu used. It includes a few patches to speed up the XVideo layer.
slack
Snes9x Yellow Belt

Post by slack »

First off, excellent job BearOso! Your GTK build leaves me speechless, in an attempt to praise you I just keep coming back to one word... Wow!

That aside, on Google Code you state the following issue:

"Snes9x crashes when loading a save state on amd64"

I've tried to reproduce this bug on my amd64, but after multiple attempts it hasn't crashed once, for any reason or configuration. Was this reported to you or are you running into this issue? Just curious because I have had nothing but an enjoyable experience with it so far. For the record I've only compiled from source, I haven't tried your precompiled binary yet.

Again, great job!
Ezekiel000
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Ezekiel000 »

I have run in to the bug with save states on amd64. I use the the ppa version I run into the bug quite regularly when playing Yoshi's Island, I'm not sure if the game matters.
slack
Snes9x Yellow Belt

Post by slack »

Ezekiel000 wrote:I have run in to the bug with save states on amd64. I use the the ppa version I run into the bug quite regularly when playing Yoshi's Island, I'm not sure if the game matters.
You'll have to excuse my laziness, I live up to my nick at times. After reading through the thread I see it's been effecting a few people.

Good news, I was able to reproduce the bug. I didn't run into it at all in World 1-1 of Yoshi's Island, but so far I can't save and load a state in 1-2 without it crashing. I'll mess around with it this evening when I have more time and report back if I find anything.
Ezekiel000
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Ezekiel000 »

Could it be because of the chip that yoshi's island used and the effects on screen?
BearOso

Post by BearOso »

Could either of you provide a save state so I can reproduce it? You can submit it to the google code bug.
Ezekiel000
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Ezekiel000 »

I've added a save state to the bug on google code.
slack
Snes9x Yellow Belt

Post by slack »

Just wanted to chime in and say that with the most recent commit all is well. I've even tested a handful of other SFX/2 games without a crash. Now all I need is a personal sanity check... :)
BearOso

Revision 66

Post by BearOso »

I've posted a new revision. Because there are changes to the snapshot code, I've gone back to using a patch to apply the changes to the original source. This will only affect you if you're using the delta tarball.

Also, I've switched to using Google Code for download hosting, so links will need more than just the version number updated.

Thanks for testing, slack.
Ezekiel000
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Ezekiel000 »

I had a go with the new version and I've had no crashes with sae state loading. Thank you.
Chrono86
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Chrono86 »

While compiling SNES9X on Fedora 10 I get this:

Code: Select all

snes9x_gtk-gtk_preferences.o: In function `poll_joystick(void*)':
gtk_preferences.cpp:(.text+0x524): undefined reference to `JoyDevice::get_event(JoyEvent*)'
gtk_preferences.cpp:(.text+0x5ae): undefined reference to `Snes9xConfig::flush_joysticks()'
snes9x_gtk-gtk_preferences.o: In function `Snes9xPreferences::calibration_dialog()':
gtk_preferences.cpp:(.text+0x1f60): undefined reference to `Snes9xConfig::joystick_register_centers()'
gtk_preferences.cpp:(.text+0x1f73): undefined reference to `Snes9xConfig::set_joystick_mode(int)'
gtk_preferences.cpp:(.text+0x1fd5): undefined reference to `Snes9xConfig::set_joystick_mode(int)'
snes9x_gtk-gtk_preferences.o: In function `snes9x_preferences_open(_GtkWidget*, void*)':
gtk_preferences.cpp:(.text+0x2556): undefined reference to `Snes9xConfig::set_joystick_mode(int)'
gtk_preferences.cpp:(.text+0x2576): undefined reference to `Snes9xConfig::set_joystick_mode(int)'
snes9x_gtk-gtk_s9x.o: In function `S9xPauseFunc(void*)':
gtk_s9x.cpp:(.text+0xa94): undefined reference to `Snes9xConfig::flush_joysticks()'
snes9x_gtk-gtk_s9x.o: In function `S9xIdleFunc(void*)':
gtk_s9x.cpp:(.text+0xbbe): undefined reference to `Snes9xConfig::flush_joysticks()'
snes9x_gtk-gtk_s9x.o: In function `main':
gtk_s9x.cpp:(.text+0x11e7): undefined reference to `Snes9xConfig::flush_joysticks()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [snes9x-gtk] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/adam/snes9x-1.51-src/gtk'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
I tried running a configure with --without-joystick but I still get that message when I run make

Anybody know what this means?
Deathlike2
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Deathlike2 »

It is a good idea to "make clean" before trying again.
Continuing FF4 Research...