SNES9X v1.60 Causing Computer to Reboot

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Tugboat5000
Snes9x White Belt

SNES9X v1.60 Causing Computer to Reboot

Post by Tugboat5000 »

So I'm having some really odd issues with SNES9X v1.60 x64. When I'm playing a game, after five or ten minutes, my monitors will flicker as if they've lost power. Not too long after they come back, it will happen again, and not too long after that, my entire computer reboots itself.

I'm not really sure what information y'all might need to diagnose the problem so my machine specs are as follows:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1080 TI

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Re: SNES9X v1.60 Causing Computer to Reboot

Post by Ryan »

Sounds an awful lot like what happens when the GPU drivers crash and recover, then finally fail to recover and cause a reboot. Had it happen on many different systems. Check the Windows Error logs next time it happens and I am 95% sure you'll see entries in there about the drivers crashing/recovering. My first suggestion would be to make sure you have the latest drivers, and also to perhaps to a full uninstall and then reinstall using the option to do a clean install of the drivers in the nVidia setup.
Tugboat5000
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Tugboat5000 »

It looks like you're on to something. Look back at the logs I've got two critical events when the crashes happened both with the source "DriverFrameworks-UserMode".

The first entry reads: "A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices."

The second reads: "The device HID-compliant headset (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 4 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem."

When I get some time tomorrow I'll use DDU to uninstall and then start fresh.

I'll provide an update when it hopefully works.

Thanks!
Tugboat5000
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Tugboat5000 »

Uninstalling and then reinstalling the most recent drivers appears to have done the trick.

Thanks a lot, Ryan.
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

Glad to help. :)