Audio Crackling Issues

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Skye
Snes9x White Belt

Audio Crackling Issues

Post by Skye »

I've tried every "fix" for the audio crackling that I can find, but I still can't completely get rid of audio crackling in this emulator.
I've even followed the instructions on the github, and the issue still persists. Help would be appreciated.
Here are my sound settings: https://prnt.sc/uu8hkw
And here are my display settings: https://prnt.sc/uu8hwk
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: Audio Crackling Issues

Post by odditude »

have you tried using Direct3D instead of OpenGL?

i have no issues with these settings on my box, which is is using the audio-over-HDMI provided by a GTX 960, with my display driven at 60 Hz:

Output Device: Default
Sound Driver: XAudio2
Playback Rate: 32 KHz
Buffer Length: 32 ms
Synchronize with sound core: ON
Dynamic Rate Control: OFF
Automatic Input Rate: ON
Skye
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Skye »

odditude wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:13 am have you tried using Direct3D instead of OpenGL?

i have no issues with these settings on my box, which is is using the audio-over-HDMI provided by a GTX 960, with my display driven at 60 Hz:

Output Device: Default
Sound Driver: XAudio2
Playback Rate: 32 KHz
Buffer Length: 32 ms
Synchronize with sound core: ON
Dynamic Rate Control: OFF
Automatic Input Rate: ON
No luck, I still get occasional crackling with those settings. Changing OpenGL to Direct3D did significantly reduce the amount of crackling, though, so I guess that's a start.
Skye
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Skye »

I changed the buffer length to 128 ms, the playback rate to 44.1 kHz, and the sound driver to waveOut, and that seems to have fixed the problem almost completely. I've only gotten crackling when saving and loading states as of now.
Skye
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Skye »

I can't edit my previous post for some reason, so I have to post again to say if I'm using the AVI recorder, the crackling is extremely frequent, even with the aforementioned settings.