Can't get past opening menu in Final Fantasy 6

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
pattypie
Snes9x White Belt

Can't get past opening menu in Final Fantasy 6

Post by pattypie »

Hey all,

I just downloaded the SNES9x to play Final Fantasy 6. I'm using mouse and keyboard on my PC with Windows 10.

The ROM loads up nicely and the cinematic plays, but when I try to press start (Space Bar according to my input configuration) or select nothing happens.

The emulator does respond to my keyboard though: it reacts to the display FPS button, the rewind and fast forward buttons, etc, but when it comes to me trying to press start or any other key associated with a SNES button, it doesn't seem to do anything.

I've tried setting it to Use SNES Joypad under the Input Menu, I've tried making sure my Input configuration is good to go, but nothing is working. Just endlessly watching the opening cinematic with no way to get past it.

Any tips?
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: Can't get past opening menu in Final Fantasy 6

Post by odditude »

press A, not Start.
pattypie
Snes9x White Belt

Post by pattypie »

Thanks for the reply odditude, but when I press my key matched with the A button (for me it's the V key), nothing happens. Tried it with caps too. It seems the emulator isn't responding to any of the keys that are bound to controller buttons.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

a few questions:
  1. does snes9x have input focus (is it the selected foreground program)?
  2. is Steam (or any other program that can grab input) running in the background?
  3. did you accidentally clear the "Enabled" checkbox for Joypad 1 in Input Configuration?