Can't fly in Mario on Android

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
TheSavageSlayer
Snes9x White Belt

Can't fly in Mario on Android

Post by TheSavageSlayer »

Hello, I'm new to the emulator and forums so I apologize if this is covered somewhere or expected behavior, I wasn't able to locate anything on it.

Anyways I'm using a Google Nexus 5 and the touchscreen buttons to play Super Mario World. It works OK at first but when it comes time to fly it's nearly impossible as I can't seem to push more than one button most of the time. I hold down run, get up speed and keep holding it and start tapping the fly button. I can get off the ground about half the time but I can't ever maintain since it keeps acting like I'm tapping the spin button instead. I've been trying for over an hour between the last few days and am convinced it's either a bug or a setting I'm not finding.

I know it's just one game but I'm weary of trying others since it seems to be a UI issue.

If anyone knows how to fix I'd very much appreciate it.
TheSavageSlayer
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Can't fly in Mario on Android

It's like I can't push more than one button at a time. Even if I ensure my finger isn't lifting off it acts like it does. Is this a lack of multi touch functionality on the android version or possibly my phone?
TheSavageSlayer
Snes9x White Belt

When I use 2 fingers I can get it to work. Seems like blending them to 25%helps a bit but not enough, it still thinks I'm taking my thumb off run every time and then re-pushing it but I'm not.
TheSavageSlayer
Snes9x White Belt

No insight guys? I'm sure it's not isolated to one game.

It just seems trying to push multiple buttons using the virtual on screen controller doesn't work right. I've tried messing with button sizes, spacing and overlapping and can't get it to work right for more than 2 minutes, which is weird because I'll get my hopes up thinking I have it then it'll go back to being a pos again.

Any ideas are appreciated.
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

My advice to you is get a game controller. Since you have a Nexus, those are easily rooted and thus it opens many options for you (XBox (S or 360) wired pad via USB OTG, Sixaxis (PS3 Controller), Wii Remote (assuming you're not on 4.2.x or higher Android), Moga Universal driver if you're using a Moga pad (although I think recent versions of Robert Broglia's emulators have a native Moga option IIRC) etc...)

And no, this isn't isolated to any one game, it's based on how your device (hardware and/or software) handles multitouch. Honestly I would save the touch screen controls for RPGs, board or TV show game ports (Clue, Monopoly, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy!, etc), etc and use a controller for platformers, action, racing, Contra, etc games.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley