Slowdowns on a specific game

Here you can talk about anything not covered by the other forums. Please post in the Tech Support forum for problems using Snes9x.
Korke
Snes9x White Belt

Slowdowns on a specific game

Post by Korke »

Hello there, I am from a community that plays a lot of International Superstar Soccer Deluxe (U) online. We have a small, but persistent competitive scene, and we've been using ZSNES 1.42, the same emulator since our beginnings back on 2006. However, we've been wondering if we could move on to another emulator, because ZSNES does not have a update since long ago. We are longing for some features like the ability to have more than 2 players connected in order to have spectators to make live streams, or to have some 2 vs 2 action.

So I decided to try out snes9x (1.60), since this emulator is being used in several popular platforms like Retroarch and Fightcade. However, I noticed that the emulator is behaving worse than ZSNES, with more lag and more importantly, the game has a violent slowdown when there are too many players on screen. If someone kicks a ball on this situation, it feels like the game is on a slowmotion which is very frustrating because an emulator from like 15 years ago does not have such problem.

Which brings the question, is it possible to solve those slowdowns with some sort of specific configuration inside the settings? I did not change anything from the default settings because I have never used snes9x before, and didn't want to risk messing everything up.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: Slowdowns on a specific game

Post by odditude »

more than likely, the slowdown is present on actual hardware (meaning the issue is actually with zsnes's lower accuracy). you can try out the options under Emulation -> Hacks - see if setting an overclock on the CPU gives the experience you're looking for.