Sound scraps & rustles

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
floyd_83
Snes9x White Belt

Sound scraps & rustles

Post by floyd_83 »

Hello everybody,

I am new here and still wondering that SNES emus are still in use... :? ... that's great!!!

I used the SNES9x years ago on my WinXP PC and it did not work at all - only blackscreen.

So I used zsnes on that OS. With my new Win 7 notebook I rediscovered SNES9x, because zsnes does not work on that plattform.

After setting devices everything works well with the graphic, but the sound scraps ans rustles every few seconds... Because this in nearly the same in every game and with different playback rates and buffer length settings I hope that somebody here can help me with this problem - and perhaps someone has a hint how to use Snes9x on my Win XP, too :?:

Hope that anybody finds this thread through all the spam threads...

Greetings,
floyd_83 :mrgreen:
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Re: Sound scraps & rustles

Post by adventure_of_link »

First off, if you still have that XP computer, try using the latest Snes9X on it, to see if the black screen goes away.

additionally, it could be your sound drivers or some other sound setting needs to be tinkered within Snes9X -- what is your computer's specs (video card, sound card, RAM, CPU, etc)

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
floyd_83
Snes9x White Belt

Post by floyd_83 »

On the old XP OS I used the 2007 version, I think there is no newer one?

My Win7 notebook has the sound only onboard (Intel Display Audio), in the the system management I could not find anything specific or a tool to adjust sound ...

Its a HP EliteBook 8460p, this is the data sheet:

Original Windows® 7 Home 64
processor Intel® Core™ i5-2520M (2,50 GHz, 3 MB L3-Cache)
processor-technologie Intel® Core™ i5 mit vPro Technologie
Chipset Mobile Intel® QM67 Express
intern SATA II 320 GB 7200 U/min
graphics Intel® HD Graphics 3000
Ports 2 USB 3.0
1 eSATA/USB 2.0-Kombianschluss
1 USB 2.0 (Laden)
1 DisplayPort
1 1394a
1 Stereomikrofoneingang
1 Stereokopfhörer-/Leitungsausgang
1 Netzkabelanschluss
1 RJ-11
1 RJ-45
1 Dockinganschluss
1 Anschluss für sekundären Akku
Erweiterungssteckplätze 1 Express Card/54; 1 Smart Card Reader; 1 SD/MMC

Audio: SRS Premium Sound, integrated Stereo-speaker, Stereokopfhörer/Line-Out, Stereomikrofoneingang,
integrated Mikrofon (Doppelmikrofon mit optionaler Webcam)

Integrierte Kamera 720p HD Webcam
Netzwerkschnittstelle Integrierte Intel 82579LM Gigabit-Netzwerkverbindung
(10/100/1000 NIC)
Wireless Intel Centrino 802.11a/b/g/n; Integriertes HP Modul
mit Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR Wireless-Technologie

Perhaps that helps?
greetings, floyd_83
MELERIX
Snes9x White Belt

Post by MELERIX »

try using the new test builds: http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/testbuilds/
floyd_83
Snes9x White Belt

Post by floyd_83 »

I tried the new v1.53 32 on the WinXP OS, that worked, video and sound is fine within my testgame Castlevania4.

So thank you for reminding me of 'always use the newest version' - I thought I did... :oops:

The x64 version that I tried on my Win7 notebook says d3dx9_38.dll misses on the PC and doesn't start ??? What the hell???
floyd_83
Snes9x White Belt

Post by floyd_83 »

sorry, I found no edit possibility...

The 'd3dx9_38.dll' problem was due to DirectX in some way. I reinstalled that via Windows HP, that helped. So I am running SNes9x 1.53 on both my systems now, sound and video is good. 8)

Interesting, that with the same settings the video looks different on both systems, on the PC the colours are deeper, fuller & darker, on the NB flatter and lighter, e.g. 'Secret of Evermore': metal & concrete looks gray on NB, but with a dark green tough on PC. Is this changeable in SNes9x or do I have to change settings in general . that would be a shame, because everything else works fine with the current settings...

But altogether: THX for incredible games like Street Fighter Alpha, Secret of Evermore etc. that were hard for emulators a few years ago when I got interested in... :wink:

all the best,
floyd_83
MELERIX
Snes9x White Belt

Post by MELERIX »

floyd_83 wrote:The x64 version that I tried on my Win7 notebook says d3dx9_38.dll misses on the PC and doesn't start ??? What the hell???
that is because you don't have Direct X updated, use this tool to update: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=35
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

snes9x has nothing to do with that - your displays are different (and calibrated differently, if at all).