Save States--Snes9x for Mac

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Cucco
Snes9x White Belt

Save States--Snes9x for Mac

Post by Cucco »

Hello! I am new to the Snes9x, and so far, I am absolutely loving it.

Unfortunately, I had neglected to save in-game, and instead thought that by double-clicking the screen, the emulator would save instead. (every time a double clicked, something like "saved Earthbound.oops" would pop up).

I'm assuming that this wasn't actually a substitute for actual in-game saving, and I cannot find ANY folder in the Snes9x application that is labelled 'saves", or save slots. I don't know where they are, or how I can access them.
Instead, all I see is the ROM itself.

I've reached the conclusion that I cannot resume the place I was before, so I decided to look into save files that I could download to resume my position. I downloaded a .srm file from http://fantasyanime.com/legacy/earthb_saves.htm , which supposedly should work with Snes9x. After following the instructions all the way, upon activation, a message pops up in yellow saying "ROM corrupt, bad checksum".

Is there a way to activate this save file? Or is there a miraculous way to recover my previous data?
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: Save States--Snes9x for Mac

Post by odditude »

first thing first. the .oops files you created (through a truly bizarre method) are indeed savestates. if you load it* from the load state menu after loading the ROM through the usual fashion, you'll be at the spot you were when that most recent .oops was created.

secondly, you don't manually load battery saves (*.srm) via the emulator. make sure the filename matches the ROM filename (i.e. for earthbound.smc, you want earthbound.srm) and place it in the currently-defined save location. you'll likely already have an earthbound.srm in that location, which was created when you played EarthBound (snes9x generates the sram file immediately if the rom uses it, whether you've poerformed an in-game save or not).

*the most recent will have overwritten the previous one(s), so "it" is correct here.
zones
Official Mac OSX Porter/Dev

Post by zones »

~/Library/Application Support/Snes9x by default.
Pick up the .oops file in the "Freezes" folder, rename it to .frz and load it manually from "Option - Defrost State from..." menu.
rav3
Snes9x White Belt

Post by rav3 »

I have a similar question to the OP's.

Except mine is concerned with loading one of those save states from there to the emulator/ROM on a Mac.

How would I go about being able to play from one of those save states with a ROM that's yet to be played?
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

assuming the save states were generated using the same version of snes9x and the same ROM, just make sure the filename (before the extension) matches.