Blargg's NTSC filter Scanlines.

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Ilya-v
Snes9x White Belt

Blargg's NTSC filter Scanlines.

Post by Ilya-v »

Is there any chance to disable the Blargg's NTSC filter scanlines?
Snes9x stretches the image and the scanlines lose their proportion.

The sega emualtor Kega Fusion has an NTSC filter but the scan lines can be turned On or Off (%).
Kega also don't lose proportion no matter what resolution the fullscreen is so the scanlines are pixel perfect.

No matter what resolution I tried or x2 x3 x4 the image is not pixel perfect.

Thanks.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Re: Blargg's NTSC filter Scanlines.

Post by OV2 »

S9x filters are currently not designed to be configurable, so no, unless you recompile it yourself there is no way.

As for stretching: blargg uses a slightly different width - you can try setting AspectRatioBaseWidth in snes9x.conf to 302.
Ilya-v
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Ilya-v »

I have tried fiddling with the AspectRatioBaseWidth value but it didn't correct the misalignment.

OV2 try to find a game where it uses Hi-Res vertical lines for transparency you'll see they are not in alignment too.
Also the standard Scanlines option are not aligned no matter what resolution or stretching setting.

How Kega Fusion manages to maintain a 4:3 aspect and still have horizontal & Vertical lines be perfectly aligned?
OV2

Post by OV2 »

Ilya-v wrote:OV2 try to find a game where it uses Hi-Res vertical lines for transparency you'll see they are not in alignment too.
If you are using 4:3 then those will obviously be unaligned because the image is streched horizontally.
Ilya-v wrote:How Kega Fusion manages to maintain a 4:3 aspect and still have horizontal & Vertical lines be perfectly aligned?
Kega Fusion might be applying filters after resizing, or you're using a system that already has a 4:3 resolution. You might be better off using a shader for your scanlines.

As for the blargg issue: I can't see anything wrong with the scanlines.
Ilya-v
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Ilya-v »

OV2 wrote: As for the blargg issue: I can't see anything wrong with the scanlines.
Thanks for replying.

Please find a single color image and freeze it, you'll see that the the scanlines don't have same spacing between them.
It depends on the size of the fullscreen or window size.
I love blargg's NTSC filter but the built-in misaligned scanlines spoil the experience a little.

How difficult would it be to recompile the NTSC filter without scanlines?
Blargg has the code on his page.

Thanks.
OV2

Post by OV2 »

If you use an odd window size and have disabled bilinear filter then the scanlines will obviously be misaligned.
It would not be difficult to disable the scanlines, but I won't do that for the regular releases unless I find the time and motivation to add filter configuration options.

You could try one of the CRT shaders.
diggly
Snes9x White Belt

Post by diggly »

I also hate scanlines, but otherwise enjoy Blargg's NTSC filters.

I got around this by using Retroarch with the Snes9x libretro implementation, and the NTSC filters for bsnes (since they are about the same Blargg presets but without scanlines)

But I wish I could just turn them off in Snes9x. Retroarch has a lot of quirks and sometimes doesn't work as reliably as Snes9x by itself.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the scanlines to simply be a checkbox selection?