Xscreensaver not being prevented

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
stasis
Snes9x White Belt

Xscreensaver not being prevented

Post by stasis »

I am using Xubuntu 12.04 with Snes9x 1.53 GTK+ v82. I have "Prevent the screensaver from activating" checked, however it does not work.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Re: Xscreensaver not being prevented

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Xscreensaver doesn't seem to want to listen to the program anyway, which means you'll have to turn off the screensaver when playing. A hassle, I know, but there's no better fix ATM as far as I know.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
stasis
Snes9x White Belt

Post by stasis »

This feature used to work when I was running Xubuntu 10.10 and a prior version of Snes9x (back when it was still in the Ubuntu repository).

Are we sure it doesn't have anything to do with GNOME switching away from Xscreensaver and Snes9x expecting gnome-screensaver (I think that's what it's called) when Xfce still uses Xscreensaver? Just my wild speculation...

Is there something specific I could bring to the attention the Xubuntu maintainers or JWZ?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

I can't really such much more beyond that because I don't know Linux all that well. :(

Hopefully someone else can step up? At least my solution will work until something more permanent is set up... sorry I can't do anything more.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
stasis
Snes9x White Belt

Post by stasis »

Xscreensaver does not listen to any gamepad input, which is of course what I am using.

When it was working, I assume that Snes9x did something along these lines.
squall_leonhart69r

Post by squall_leonhart69r »

stasis wrote:Xscreensaver does not listen to any gamepad input, which is of course what I am using.

When it was working, I assume that Snes9x did something along these lines.
is your screensaver passworded.
stasis
Snes9x White Belt

Post by stasis »

squall_leonhart69r wrote:is your screensaver passworded.
No, and I'm fairly certain that is irrelevant. :?

The Xscreensaver FAQ is fairly clear about the fact that Xscreensaver only monitors keystrokes and mouse movements. Programs like Snes9x that might be operated for long periods of time solely through other input (such as gamepads) need to periodically reset Xscreensaver's idle time.
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Post by BearOso »

It worked in the past because I used a different method for resetting the screensaver (xdg-screensaver reset, which does pretty much what is described in the FAQ you linked to). That method had the side-effect of causing hiccups in the video output on some systems, so it was removed. What's left is the standard XResetScreenSaver, which works on hardly anything.

If you're using the PPA, I can probably fix this by going back to the XTest faked keypress trick and uploading some new packages, but you'll have to wait a bit for it.

If you're building from source, you can probably get away with adding the line

Code: Select all

system ("xdg-screensaver reset");
at line 1539 of gtk_s9xwindow.cpp and rebuilding.
stasis
Snes9x White Belt

Post by stasis »

Thanks!

I am using the PPA and am happy to wait for your update. If you could follow up to this thread when it's in I would appreciate it as I am currently using a shell script work-around but would prefer to use the feature built into Snes9x.

Just a thought: Could the command to reset the Xscreensaver timer be run at a lower priority to prevent video interference?

I really appreciate your continued support and maintenance of this port!
squall_leonhart69r

Post by squall_leonhart69r »

stasis wrote:
squall_leonhart69r wrote:is your screensaver passworded.
No, and I'm fairly certain that is irrelevant. :?

The Xscreensaver FAQ is fairly clear about the fact that Xscreensaver only monitors keystrokes and mouse movements. Programs like Snes9x that might be operated for long periods of time solely through other input (such as gamepads) need to periodically reset Xscreensaver's idle time.
no it isn't irrelevant, if linux has come into line with windows then screensaver prevention is ignored when a password is enabled.