Where is my ''right'' save?

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Kuopiotis
Snes9x White Belt

Where is my ''right'' save?

Post by Kuopiotis »

Hi,

I found this forum and hope to stay, as for now I am desperated! Any help would be appreciated.

I was playing the Crono Trigger Flames of Eternity. Because I was confused before, it was quite messy the folder (maybe have twice the game and other files). I had made in the game my saves nicely and because I had some problems with my computer, I put the whole game (with saves and everything) in my stick. In the second computer I putted it, it started from much before, in a point I played months before (i played that game in that computer months before and i stopped there, but I loaded from stick now). Finally my laptop was fixed, so played normally. I started and it was where I wanted to be. My son pressed some buttons (i had a save in slot except the normal saves) and some other buttons too. When I started, I was again much more behind (not so much like in the other computer) and could not find how to make it like it was originally. I made a recovery to my computer before the accident with my son that the game was perfect, but still the same.

Please, can someone tell me how I can find the original saves? I can even upload my messy file. I am very desperated as it was many hours of work and try a lot to find a way with no success (even if i upload the game from a different file, it is same).
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Re: Where is my ''right'' save?

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Are you using Save States or using the built-in save feature of the game?
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
Kuopiotis
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Kuopiotis »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:Are you using Save States or using the built-in save feature of the game?
Usually I am using the save feature of the game. By mistake, I just made one save state. But, I had even in my stick the save and put back when it was normal...

It is really annoying this to happen. :cry:
emulatornoob123
Snes9x White Belt

Post by emulatornoob123 »

hey. I have snes9x 1.53 for windows.

Do i save everything? (sram, screenshot, spc, and a save state)

or what? cuz whenever I open the emulator, it starts back at the same point. and when I try to load a save state, it says "it's not in scrrenshot format" or something,

so that gave me the reason to start saving screenshots. But then I ended up seeing save "everything else" so yeah.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

first things first...

sram data is the battery save data, assuming the game currently loaded supported it. manually saving that forces snes9x to update the existing file (in case you're worried about snes9x crashing or want to duplicate the file).

a screenshot is an image of the screen contents (i.e. a picture).

spc data is the data used by the sound chip for the current song (so you can play said track in an audio player that supports .spc files).

a save state is a copy of the exact current state of the emulated snes - including cpu, memory, and sram.

now, with that out of the way - what game are you trying to play, and how exactly are you trying to load save states?
emulatornoob123
Snes9x White Belt

Post by emulatornoob123 »

ok. I'm playing super mario rpg, legend of the seven stars. 1.53 version of snes9x (donno the bit #)

I save with the built in save function in the game. I also use the "save game position" in the file menu.
It seems to work well throughout my playing of the game, however, when I close the emulator.
I click "load game position" and then it says "the game is not in screenshot format" or something.

After that, I've started to save in SRAM, SPC, screenshot format (png), save game position, and the game's save features.
I close the window, reopen it, and then I get the same error message "the game is not in screenshot format" when I load the game again.

WHY IT DO THIS?
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

what version of Windows do you have? where did you extract snes9x to? what is the EXACT message that snes9x gives you when you try to load a save state via "Load Game Position"?
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

emulatornoob123 wrote:Subject: Where is my ''right'' save?
odditude wrote:what version of Windows do you have? where did you extract snes9x to? what is the EXACT message that snes9x gives you when you try to load a save state via "Load Game Position"?
ok. I have windows 7. I donno what you mean by extract. "file not in snes9x screenshot format" is the exact message I get when I try to load the state.
if you're running snes9x from inside the zip file you downloaded, that will cause a whole host of problems. if that's the case, right-click on the zip file, choose "Extract...", and extract it to a sane place (e.g. c:\emulators\snes9x). once you've done that, see if things behave properly.

please keep your responses in this thread so it can possibly help other people who have the same problem!