Jumpy framerate

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
TPIRFanSteve
Snes9x White Belt

Jumpy framerate

Post by TPIRFanSteve »

I'm running SNES9x 1.53 on a laptop, and I've been having a problem with the framerate. I have the emulator set to never frameskip, but I still seem to be losing a frame or two every few seconds, and the framerate appears to be fluctuating between 59 and 61. The sound is occasionally crackling, as well, usually around the same time the framerate screws up.

I'm sure that's not enough info to tell me what's going on, but if anyone wants to take a crack at it, I'll be glad to provide any of my settings that you think might be contributing to the problem.
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Re: Jumpy framerate

Post by adventure_of_link »

computer specs (RAM amount, CPU, sound card, OS)? What games are you trying to run?

you may also have something taking minor bits of CPU time away from Snes9X.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
TPIRFanSteve
Snes9x White Belt

Post by TPIRFanSteve »

adventure_of_link wrote:computer specs (RAM amount, CPU, sound card, OS)? What games are you trying to run?

you may also have something taking minor bits of CPU time away from Snes9X.
RAM -- 4 GB.

CPU -- Intel Core2 Duo.

Sound card -- RealTek High Definition Audio.

OS -- Vista.

I'm connecting a controller to the computer with GlovePIE. Could that be what's slowing things down?
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

is vsync enabled? how about sync sound? do you get different results if the playback rate is set to 44 or 48KHz?
TPIRFanSteve
Snes9x White Belt

Post by TPIRFanSteve »

Vsync and sync sound are both enabled; shutting off the former causes the audio and video to go badly out of sync, and shutting off the latter just makes every sound like crap.

I turned the playback rate up to 48KHz, and it didn't completely fix the problem, but it seems to have massively improved things.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

double-check the display's refresh rate in Windows is set to 60Hz. i doubt that it's not, but just in case...

as for the improvement you get from switching the sample rate to 48KHz - yay, crappy onboard Realtek audio. it seems to be one of those parts that only works at 48KHz, with the driver resampling sources of differing sample rate in software (adding latency).

do you get better results if you increase the buffer length?
TPIRFanSteve
Snes9x White Belt

Post by TPIRFanSteve »

odditude wrote:double-check the display's refresh rate in Windows is set to 60Hz. i doubt that it's not, but just in case...
It is.
odditude wrote:do you get better results if you increase the buffer length?
It seems to get a little better, but I don't really like doing that, because it makes things go out of sync. Maybe there's a happy medium I can hunt down, though.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

how about changing the audio interface snes9x uses (sound/settings.../sound driver)?