Defrosting saved games

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
cic88
Snes9x White Belt

Defrosting saved games

Post by cic88 »

Snes9x - 1.53

Trying to defrost game states, which seemed to work fine the last time I tried it. Now it just hangs and I get a black window with [bad checksum] error. I know some of these .frz files worked before, and a few I just froze in the last hour, but none of them will load anything. Going to the defrost state screen (with options 1-C) I just get a spinning beach ball. I managed to get FF3 to open, but it was just one of the background textures repeated across the screen and blinking on and off. Without freeze/defrost state how am I supposed to save games?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Re: Defrosting saved games

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

You can save games just like you normally would within the game.

For games with a save system (SRAM), just save your game like you would on a regular console.
For games with a password system, take a screenshot of the emulator window (File > Save Screenshot) or type/write the password down.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can come and help you out. :)
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
Videogamer555
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Videogamer555 »

What's defrosting? Is this some new feature?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Videogamer555 wrote:What's defrosting? Is this some new feature?
Defrosting is basically the term for resuming a save (AKA freeze) state.
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

Has to be a Mac culture thing. For most it's Save/Load, but for Mac it's Freeze/Defrost. Think Different, and such. Image
cic88
Snes9x White Belt

Post by cic88 »

Ryan wrote:Has to be a Mac culture thing. For most it's Save/Load, but for Mac it's Freeze/Defrost. Think Different, and such. Image
It's an Snes9x thing. The program creates a "Freezes" folder, and allows you to resume your games from there. I'd imagine it's more like just leaving your snes powered on mid-world so you can come back and pick up again later. It doesn't save the game as you would with an in-game save menu, it just puts everything on pause.

More importantly, it no longer works. Anyone have any idea why? I get this error flashing on the screen if I try to directly load a .frz file, followed by a black screen:

Code: Select all

[bad checksum] LoROM, 4Mbits, ROM+RAM, NTSC, SRAM:131072Kbits, ID:____, CRC32:20D6F4EF
and the attached image if I try to go through the 'Defrost State From...' menu
Attachments
snes9x_screen.jpg
snes9x_screen.jpg (72.57 KiB) Viewed 55612 times
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

first off, there's a good chance the forum admin knows what he's talking about. on every platform except Mac, it's Save/Load State.

anyway, you can't load a savestate from the ROM load dialog. load the correct ROM first, then load the savestate via Defrost.
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

Just so ya know... this is moved to tech support.

and yes, freeze states are basically save states. Load them as odditude described.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
zones
Official Mac OSX Porter/Dev

Post by zones »

'Freeze' and 'defrost' in fact derive from the old snes9x readme.txt. Not a mac only thing, but it spreads only in mac culture.
In snes9x source codes, it's mainly called as 'snapshot'.
Anyway we call it 'savestate' here.

I'm not sure why Freeze/Defrost screen doesn't work for you. To manually read the savestate, open it from 'Option - Defrost from...' menu.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Ryan wrote:Has to be a Mac culture thing. For most it's Save/Load, but for Mac it's Freeze/Defrost. Think Different, and such. Image
God, I know that feeling. Perhaps this will make you feel better: http://ihateapple.floorchan.org/anti-ap ... -pictures/
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

zones wrote:'Freeze' and 'defrost' in fact derive from the old snes9x readme.txt. Not a mac only thing, but it spreads only in mac culture.
Interesting fact to know. :)
supermariorocks
Snes9x White Belt

Post by supermariorocks »

hey all, i can save state in my Kaizo super mario, but not in my cookie crisis? any ideas, i could thur the first lil bit, now says blah, blah, sumthin, sumthin, read only??also anyone kno where i can find the cookie crisis full? or is it still in demo mode. any help is better than none at all, thanks for your time.. good gaming :)