Input Lag Issue (from button press to character move)

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
emusparky
Snes9x White Belt

Input Lag Issue (from button press to character move)

Post by emusparky »

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on. With both snes9x and zsnes there is a lag between when I press the jump button and the character jumps (in any game) and I can't figure out what's going on. The PC is pretty decent with a nice video card and has 8 gb of RAM, so I don't think horse power is an issue. I was using it with wireless gamepads, but thought that might be the issue, so I bought USB gamepads and it still does it :(

I can walk upstairs with my controller and plug it in to my crappy laptop and it works flawlessly. I cannot figure out what it is about the downstairs PC that could be causing this.

Windows 7 x64

After googleling for hours I found some random guy with my problem (but in relation to the xbox port of snes) and he said this:

"I just installed it and was experiencing a slight lag on my LED HDTV. I set the video to 480p and the lag is now gone."

I do have the media center hooked up to a LED TV over HDMI. Could this be causing the lag? I don't understand how that would be possible, but if it is, how do I fix it?

Also, I've tried disabling several settings including vsync, buffers, etc. Nothing fixed it :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: Input Lag Issue (from button press to character move)

Post by odditude »

emusparky wrote:I do have the media center hooked up to a LED TV over HDMI. Could this be causing the lag? I don't understand how that would be possible, but if it is, how do I fix it?
yes, it could be causing the issue - some lcd panels have perceptible input latency. disable motion interpolation on that HDMI input and turn on "gaming mode" if it exists on your model.

yes, "LED" TVs use an LCD panel. the difference is that the backlighting is LED instead of CCFL.
emusparky
Snes9x White Belt

Post by emusparky »

Just wanted to post an update if anyone else ever searches for this issue. I didn't find the exact setting on my TV that you were talking about, but, I changed my HDMI input to what my TV calls "PC" and that all but got rid of the delay. It's still there a tad bit, but games are playable now so I don't mind it.

Thanks guys.