Sound (and Screen) Issue - Xbox SNES9x 1.53 core port

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
philexile
Snes9x White Belt

Sound (and Screen) Issue - Xbox SNES9x 1.53 core port

Post by philexile »

Hello,

First off, thank you for the exceptional SNES emulator! I've enjoyed ports of it on both the Wii and the Xbox. :)

I wanted to ask you two technical questions that have popped up regarding the port of the 1.53 core to the Xbox.

1. The sound occasionally stutters in some games, but not others. For instance, in the first level of Super Mario World the background music 'skips' for a fraction of a second. If I display the FPS counter, it reduces to 58fps (from 60), goes up to 61, and then normalizes at 60fps again. Other games, like Super Star Wars do not exhibit this issue. Do you have any thoughts regarding what could be causing this?

2. The resolution of most SNES games is 256x224. For 480i/p mode on a TV, this is doubled to 512x448. The screen height fits to the TV monitor OK, but the width is a bit too thin. I've tried a few tricks to get the screen right, but whenever I make it anything but 512, it introduces screen distortions. Below is an example I mocked up to show you what the distortions look like - check out the yellow block's eyes.

Correct:

Incorrect:

Any suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated! Also, here is the thread where this is being discussed:

http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic ... &start=130

Best Regards
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

try the ntsc or any other non-nearest-neighbor filter along with the "maintain aspect ratio (4:3)" option.

also, make sure your display is set to a refresh rate of 60 or 120Hz to help avoid stuttering.