Is there a way to "convert" old save states?

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
crumbworks
Snes9x White Belt

Is there a way to "convert" old save states?

Post by crumbworks »

Hey all. I am Snes9x user from back in the day (stopped around 2005) and wanted to get back into it. However, to get an optimal experience, I wanted to use the newest version, but still be able to utilize my original save states.

Before: Windows XP 32-bit, Snes9x v1.39 (circa year 2000!)
Now: Windows 7 64-bit, trying to use v1.53

While the older version works, it also disables Aero and has a few other issues.

I never relied on save RAM (SRM), instead solely using save and load states (it's just easier). When I try to load my original save states in the newest version of Snes9x, it says "file not in snes9x snapshot format".

Is there a way to have those older save states work in the newer versions?

Thanks!

~ Chris
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

No, due to the massive code changes (and more accurate sound emulation added to the emulator) to Snes9x, older savestates are not cross-compatible, but, if you load the game you want to continue from, load the game in the old version, create an in-game save (like at an Inn, save point, etc), then create a savestate. Make sure the game's .SRM file (usually named "thisgame.srm") is in the new saves directory After that, exit, and then load the game in the new Snes9x and you should be able to continue where you left off.

Never wholly rely on savestates, lest something got corrupted/lost, it's always good to use both save methods. This is something I learned the very hard and painful way. Trust me, it saves a lot of unnecessary stress.
Lisa: "I hope you all know you're sponsoring a murderous pirate!"
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

if the game relies on passwords (Megaman games, etc) get to the point where you can get a password.

Otherwise for no save system (passwords, S-ram, etc) you're pretty much boned.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley