Snes9x 1.53 not working on Mac OSX 10.7.2 Lion

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
1fractal7
Snes9x White Belt

Snes9x 1.53 not working on Mac OSX 10.7.2 Lion

Post by 1fractal7 »

Hi, I just downloaded snes9x 1.53 from a couple different mirror sites and had problems with both. One rom crashes the program, the others I've tried just bring up a black screen with some garbled mess on the bottom (bad checksum, etc) and then just go pure black and sit there. I've tried configuring my controller and pushing buttons but nothing seems to make a difference. Am I supposed to be using roms in the .7z format? Am I supposed to download other files to support snes9x?

Help!!
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Verify your ROM dumps with NSRT (google it).
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
1fractal7
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 1fractal7 »

These are the very same roms that I was using on a previous computer with snow leopard, so it is highly unlikely that the roms are the problem.. The nsrt thing seems a bit over my head, too. I don't care enough to get into the nitty gritty really.. I just wanna play nintendo.
Last edited by 1fractal7 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Please remove that rom site reference from your post, we can't have links posted on this site for liability reasons.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

1fractal7 wrote:These are the very same roms that I was using on a previous computer with snow leopard, so it is highly unlikely that the roms are the problem.. The nsrt thing seems a bit over my head, too. I don't care enough to get into the nitty gritty really.. I just wanna play nintendo.
unfortunately sometimes you'll have to get into the nitty gritty; it's more or less to help the developers (and others) in fixing whatever issue your ROM is having. and for the record, you've never told us which games you were trying to play, and at the very least we DO require a CRC32 number being posted, to help with verification.

and this is why NSRT comes with a frontend, people. :| (I know, because I helped beta test it.)

as for 7z, that's most likely your problem, as 7z isn't supported. (and never has been afaik.) Also, your ROMs returning bad checksum and going blank, may have been the end result of getting a known bad checksum ROM to quit playing on Snes9X, since the goal is to head towards accurate emulation, instead of hacks.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley