Save states: dragging & dropping and custom-named ones

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Ansatsuken
Snes9x White Belt

Save states: dragging & dropping and custom-named ones

Post by Ansatsuken »

I've noticed that Snes9x doesn't recognize any save state dragged & dropped into its window. It gives the error message "unknown file extension", even though the same save state is normally loaded via menu or hotkey.
Dunno whether or not it's a bug, but I'd find it good to be able to do it, since it would compensate for the number limitation (VirtuaNES is a good example of it - the save states are equally limited and numbered, but by dragging & dropping it loads not only the "normal" save states, but also a renamed one).
I guess it'd be a good alternative for the "unlimited save states" featured in emulators such as VBA, Project64 and Dolphin.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

do save states include a checksum of the ROM they originate from?

if not, you run the risk of horribly nuking SRAM if you were to load a save state from a different ROM. i'd say then it's not a wise feature to add, since it can lead to data loss.

otherwise, seems reasonable.
Ansatsuken
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Ansatsuken »

I've only tried to do it using a specific game's save states. It'd be senseless to load a state from, let's say, Super Mario World while playing Yoshi's Island, after all, and I'm sure you agree with me at this point.
For example. I'm playing A Link to the Past and I record a .001 save state at some point of the game. This state is perfectly loadable via menu or hotkey, but if I try to drag that very same .001 file and drop it on the emulator's screen, it gives the error message "unknown file extension".
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

senseless, yes, but quite possible to do by accident.
Ansatsuken
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Ansatsuken »

That's where your previous question takes place. Each save state must have (if they don't already) the respective game's checksum. That way, if one tries to drag & drop a save state from a different game, it'd give an error message like "wrong checksum" or "incompatible checksum", instead of "unknown file extension".