Hey Rakashazi.. and everyone else.

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Hey Rakashazi.. and everyone else.

Post by adventure_of_link »

Later this afternoon I'm getting a droid. Specifically, the HTC Evo 3D.

From my understanding I just download from Rakashazi's site and/or the App-store thingy for Androids, put the ROMs, saves, etc in the proper folders and run, right?

Or are there other pre-requisites I have to meet (IOW, rooting, installing a certain nvidia driver, whatever)? also, are there any known issues with the 3D and any HTC phones in general I should be aware of?

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Yup, the app store download works great - no need to root the phone, and you can browse the contents of the phone's filesystem to find the ROMs anywhere. The saves, I believe, will be put in the same directory as the loaded ROM.

I'm pretty sure any odd GPU issues with SNES9x have been smoothed out for whichever phones were having trouble. If not, Rakashazi is pretty quick to fix bugs if you're willing to help him troubleshoot. (edit: haha, didn't realize this is AoL. Of course you'd be willing to troubleshoot....)

However, you won't be able to sync a Wiimote to the Evo 3D, since it uses HTC Sense. (The Sense UI's bluetooth stack isn't compatible with the Wiimote.)
adventure_of_link

SparroHawc wrote:However, you won't be able to sync a Wiimote to the Evo 3D, since it uses HTC Sense. (The Sense UI's bluetooth stack isn't compatible with the Wiimote.)
well that sucks... I was under the impression that you could root the phone, install the needed stuff to get the wii remotes going, then have fun :)

thanks for the rest dude, I did try downloading it from the android marketplace (apparently that's the name for the droid app store :P) and it downloaded great, now to put some ROMs on this baby and go go go! :D

and thanks for the explanation on how the thing works basically, now I can update the onsite FAQ :)

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:
SparroHawc wrote:However, you won't be able to sync a Wiimote to the Evo 3D, since it uses HTC Sense. (The Sense UI's bluetooth stack isn't compatible with the Wiimote.)
well that sucks... I was under the impression that you could root the phone, install the needed stuff to get the wii remotes going, then have fun :)
nope, you'd need to install a 3rd-party ROM like CM.
adventure_of_link

Hey guys

Until I feel like rooting my Evo 3D (or otherwise jury-rigging my wii-remote to somehow work with the darned thing), is there ANY kind of bluetooth controller that will work with the Evo 3D?

Or perhaps some kind of bluetooth keyboard? Either way, keep in mind I got big hands and fingers.. :/

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

Rakashazi
Official iOS & Android Porter

Post by Rakashazi »

A Bluetooth keyboard (or game controller that acts as one) should work assuming HTC has enabled Bluetooth HID support in their Android build. Just go to the Bluetooth settings and sync it up from there.

Also try Bluez IME which supports a number of controllers using the standard Android APIs so it should work on almost all devices.

For Wiimotes, you must use the internal Snes9x EX driver which can access the lower-level Linux APIs (The ones provided by Android don't support the needed protocol).
adventure_of_link

General re-opening of this thread to say the droid in question is now rooted :)

I also see that there's an updated bluezIME which supports wii-remotes.. I'll give that a go as well as running snes9x EX as root to access the wii remote driver.

other than that, if anyone has any suggestions for CFWs for the Evo 3D, gimmie a shout out! :)

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

I think the Evo 3D is still too new to have significant CFW support. Scuttlebutt in the CyanogenMod forums is that it'll take about a month for a version of that, and a lot of functionality will be lost (probably including the 3D).
adventure_of_link

In the interim, until Cyanogen Mod gets released... I've found a list of custom ROMs:

http://androidroms.4blogs.com.ar/new-ht ... -rom-list/

Anyone here have any experience with these ROMs, good or bad? Only PITA I see is that all the default software gets removed (even the Telenav GPS and I found that quite useful :() and no word on if the HTC Sense is removed/fixed... :? (or if it's even possible, _at all_, to use PS3 and Wii controller jury-rigs)

and for the record, I have the Clockwork Mod installed for my recovery tool. :)

and SparroHawc, I can do without the 3D cuz I can't see 3D worth a shit, so... :P

EDIT: It looks like one of the CFW's, in the announcement thread, someone was kind enough to upload the removed apps...

Double EDIT: Check this out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1192827 -- would this be enough of "HTC sense removed as much as possible" to get the Wii/PS3 jury-rigs going?

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

The big question isn't whether or not HTC Sense is removed - it's whether or not the bluetooth stack has been re-implemented to get around the issues HTC Sense has with it. It's possible removing HTC Sense gives programs more direct access to bluetooth, but until you give it a try, you won't know.

Sounds like time to back up your phone and start flashing!
adventure_of_link

SparroHawc wrote:The big question isn't whether or not HTC Sense is removed - it's whether or not the bluetooth stack has been re-implemented to get around the issues HTC Sense has with it. It's possible removing HTC Sense gives programs more direct access to bluetooth, but until you give it a try, you won't know.

Sounds like time to back up your phone and start flashing!
well only problem is, I'd like to know of a good, solid, reliable ROM that has bluetooth improved to where we can use the HID stuff or not before I go flashing away...

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

You're on the bleeding edge right now - it's possible you're the only one right now who's both interested in hacking the Evo 3D, and interested in using Wiimotes on it.

You might be able to find out by asking around the CFW forums though.
adventure_of_link

SparroHawc wrote:You're on the bleeding edge right now - it's possible you're the only one right now who's both interested in hacking the Evo 3D, and interested in using Wiimotes on it.

You might be able to find out by asking around the CFW forums though.
well that bites.. :/

was gonna say I've googled on this issue, and obviously there's interest in CFW's for the 3D and maybe even cyanogen mod..

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

I did some looking around; it appears as though Sense UI comes with an old version of the Android bluetooth stack - specifically the Android 2.0 version. That means if you want proper bluetooth support someone will have to more-or-less port one of the newer Android versions to the Evo 3D. :/ Cyanogen will have that eventually, I'm sure.
adventure_of_link

**bumpage**

http://www.talkandroid.com/59603-cyanog ... s-weekend/

turns out an early alpha of Cyanogen Mod has been released for the HTC Evo 3D and Sensation.. :D so can't wait for this to be officialized and stable. Wii Remotes and PS3 controllers on evo 3D = sweetness!!!

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

adventure_of_link

**major bumpage**

I actually gave this cyanogen mod beta/alpha thing a try. it actually works pretty well, for the most part. I'm having loads of fun using my Wii Remote in Snes9X EX :D

Now if only there were a way to keep the darn thing synced 100% of the time instead of having to sync it every time I open Snes9X EX...

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

I don't use the SNES9x EX internal wiimote driver (though I should probably give it a try). I use an app I picked up called WiimoteController from the Android Market. There's a little bit of lag between pressing a button and the game reacting, and it does prevent you from using the keyboard while it's active, but it works with anything that can take keyboard input and the lag isn't -that- bad.
adventure_of_link

Re: Hey Rakashazi.. and everyone else.

***UPDATE***

So. it's been over a year since I got the Evo 3D.. I liked Cyanogen for awhile, but the ROM was either half-assed or various a-holes kept holding back development; even devil toast is stuck on 0.7.4 permanently as a result of this! so for a while I was running stock gingerbread.

Flash forward to this past Friday, and I _Finally_ got SolidROM (a ROM based off the stock ICS for Evo 3D) to work. Gave it a shot, and it syncs my Wii Remote BEAUTIFULLY, however the blue squares at the bottom keep blinking. (it's like this even on NES.emu and GBC.emu, not just Snes9X EX, mentioning this in case Rakashazi still lurks here...) Oh well, at least there's _finally_ a Sense ROM that makes Wii Remotes work...

and just so ya know there's a stock GUI, custom GUI, and a senseless version.

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)