Yoshi's island is not working

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
linkruler1974
Snes9x White Belt

Yoshi's island is not working

Post by linkruler1974 »

I tried playing yoshi's island on snes9x, but it just stays black. It is a zipped folder, but my other zipped folders worked. I am so confused. :? :? :? :? :?
linkruler1974
Snes9x White Belt

forgot to mention....

Post by linkruler1974 »

I am using a windows vista home edition, and am still using version 1.5.2.0 because when I tried changing, the file that I was told to open will not open.
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

Works fine on my end, and I have version 1.53 and Windows 7, when the ROM boots up, do you see white, yellow or red text? Try unzipping it.
Lisa: "I hope you all know you're sponsoring a murderous pirate!"
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
linkruler1974
Snes9x White Belt

Post by linkruler1974 »

how do I unzip the file?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Double-Click the .zip file, drag the ROM into a different location, such as My Documents, Desktop, etc. Just drag it somewhere else, then move it to your desired location.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
linkruler1974
Snes9x White Belt

nope

Post by linkruler1974 »

still doesn't work, It's very odd. I could go to the website that I got the rom from and check their forums, but I've posted it there and nobody seems to know what's happening :? and the text that displays at the beginning is white
Last edited by linkruler1974 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Please refrain from naming ROM sites on here. It's against the rules and could get you banned.

Other than that, is there any sound coming from the game? If there is sound it could indicate something isn't working with the video output of the emulator.
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
linkruler1974
Snes9x White Belt

hmmm

Post by linkruler1974 »

not sure, still haven't fixed that sound problem yet....

(objective: first fix sound before replying again)
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

It's not Snes9x' fault, update drivers, use version 1.53, update DirectX. If using Windows 7, use XAudio2 or OpenAL in the Snes9x menu; DirectSound works like crap on Win7. Here's a video of Yoshi's Island running on Snes9x 1.53, using XAudio2 for sound output. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox7Jq87c1mg
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
linkruler1974
Snes9x White Belt

Post by linkruler1974 »

well, here's the thing. My freind gave me a disc with snes9x version 1.5.2.0, so I would go to him for some help, but when I contacted him, I found out he was on vacation, so I don't really understand this stuff, I'm just using the things my friend gave me. :shock: :oops:
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Ok, tell ya what, PM me and maybe just the two of us can look into this further. Mods, keep this thread unlocked for now, please.
linkruler1974
Snes9x White Belt

ok

Post by linkruler1974 »

Now I got that sound bug fixed. When I open yoshi's island it does not project sound, so I changed to the snes9x version in the link OV2 gave me in another thread in general discussions named "can I get snes9x to work on windows 98?". I don't have the file on my windows 98, so I don't know if it's the website or the pc version
linkruler1974
Snes9x White Belt

Post by linkruler1974 »

Now I know for sure it was not the website. I tried to download the rom from a different website and it didn't work either.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

That link that OV2 posted, for Snes9x, can and should only be used on Windows 98 computers. Please use Snes9x v1.53 on modern computers running XP, Vista, & 7.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:That link that OV2 posted, for Snes9x, can and should only be used on Windows 98 computers. Please use Snes9x v1.53 on modern computers running XP, Vista, & 7.
he can't, which is what one of his other threads is about. he needs the dx runtime update, which he can't install, since he doesn't have admin privileges (daddy's not around).
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

odditude wrote: he needs the dx runtime update, which he can't install, since he doesn't have admin privileges (daddy's not around).
That's what password key loggers are for.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

odditude wrote:
Camo_Yoshi wrote:That link that OV2 posted, for Snes9x, can and should only be used on Windows 98 computers. Please use Snes9x v1.53 on modern computers running XP, Vista, & 7.
he can't, which is what one of his other threads is about. he needs the dx runtime update, which he can't install, since he doesn't have admin privileges (daddy's not around).
Ok, what dlls does snes9x rely on from those libraries?
linkruler1974
Snes9x White Belt

Post by linkruler1974 »

actually camo yoshi gave me a different link and that link doesn't need administer privileges. still working on it through pms :)
Last edited by linkruler1974 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linkruler1974
Snes9x White Belt

Post by linkruler1974 »

okay, I've got snes9x version 1.53, and it still won't play yoshi's island. I've unzipped the file and everything.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Ok, when you open the ROM with Snes9x, is the color of the text that appears white, yellow, red, or a different color?

Also, does any sound come out of your speakers?
Does any video appear?
Have you tried a different game to see if it's a problem with the ROM?
Tried a different emulator to see if it's a problem with Snes9x?