Secret Of Mana sound bug

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
ljhak
Snes9x White Belt

Secret Of Mana sound bug

Post by ljhak »

Hello.
I have a sound problem playing secret of mana.
When I try to attack, background music is frequently muted for a moment by weapon sound(ex. sword sound 'shrrik', etc).
Not being muted entire music but some melody.
So I tried to change sound setting but nothing changed.

It's not a big bug but is very unpleasant to play.
If there is anyone who know about this problem, please help me.
Thanks.
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Re: Secret Of Mana sound bug

Post by BearOso »

ljhak wrote:Hello.
I have a sound problem playing secret of mana.
When I try to attack, background music is frequently muted for a moment by weapon sound(ex. sword sound 'shrrik', etc).
Not being muted entire music but some melody.
So I tried to change sound setting but nothing changed.

It's not a big bug but is very unpleasant to play.
If there is anyone who know about this problem, please help me.
Thanks.
This is actually an effect of the limited output channels on a SNES. The actual hardware does it, too. If the music has samples playing on all channels, then when a sound effect occurs it needs to replace one of those channels with the sound effect. So you'll get things like specific instruments being muted until the timer ticks again. There's nothing you can do about it--it's the way the game was programmed.
gachan
Snes9x White Belt

Post by gachan »

Indeed. This has even become part of the ambiance whenever I'm playing SoM!
ljhak
Snes9x White Belt

Post by ljhak »

gachan wrote:Indeed. This has even become part of the ambiance whenever I'm playing SoM!
Bearoso wrote:This is actually an effect of the limited output channels on a SNES. The actual hardware does it, too. If the music has samples playing on all channels, then when a sound effect occurs it needs to replace one of those channels with the sound effect. So you'll get things like specific instruments being muted until the timer ticks again. There's nothing you can do about it--it's the way the game was programmed.
Thanks for the answer.
Anyway I'm enjoying SoM, good game. :)
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Absolute best way to play that game is if you have a friend/roommate/sibling who's willing to sit at the computer with you and play one of the other characters. Or if you can get all three characters being played by actual people. I had a blast playing that game with my brothers growing up.