Sound lag (Android)

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
ultima
Snes9x White Belt

Sound lag (Android)

Post by ultima »

Hi everyone.

First of all thank you for making this emulator, it is truly amazing. Unfortunately I experience a short sound lag from time to time (rarely the picture lags too for a second). I've tried the frame skip settings, but my only choices are 'Auto' or '0'. Choosing 'Auto' results in the above mentioned, while setting it to '0' causes constant sound lagging.

The Snes9x versions I tried: 1.3.28 and 1.3.29.

My device: Samsung Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830) running 2.2 Froyo.

Does anyone know a solution to this?
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Unfortunately, it's most likely an issue with the speed of your phone's processor. SNES9x is a pretty hardware-intensive app, especially the audio core. I have a 1GHz phone (Nexus One) and it just barely manages to keep up with things - I still get the occasional frame drop or sound hiccup.
Rakashazi
Official iOS & Android Porter

Post by Rakashazi »

Similar to the other user posting about the Android Comet phone, the Galaxy Ace also uses and older-gen ARMv6 CPU though not quite as slow. There are two possible sources of slowdown, either the CPU isn't fast enough, or the GPU has a bandwidth issue, as seems to be the case on the Nexus One with its Adreno GPU. If you're CPU-limited, overlocking or future code optimizations will help. For GPU limited devices, I'm looking into alternate ways to upload the pixel data to the screen. Currently there is an optimized code path that works on most PowerVR GPUs, and Nvidia GPUs don't appear to suffer from any bandwidth issues.
ultima
Snes9x White Belt

Post by ultima »

I've searched around the internet about overclocking the Galaxy Ace, but there seems to be no custom kernel available for this device to do this (at the moment). I guess that's it for now. Thanks for your answers guys. Keep up the good work.
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

Hey.

Anyone tried Snes9X with one of those HTC phones (especially the Evo 4G)? Or is dual-core mandated for the best experience?

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:Hey.

Anyone tried Snes9X with one of those HTC phones (especially the Evo 4G)? Or is dual-core mandated for the best experience?
works beautifully on the G2 (and therefore should work as well on the Desire Z), which is a 800MHz single-core.
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

odditude wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:Hey.

works beautifully on the G2 (and therefore should work as well on the Desire Z), which is a 800MHz single-core.
Okay, thanks.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley