Issues with Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
sceirus99
Snes9x White Belt

Issues with Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger

Post by sceirus99 »

Hello all,
Fairly new to Snes9x, but have searched through the forums for these or similar problems, and could not find anything on them specifically. So I decided to post my 'story'. :)

In Secret of Mana, in both versions of the ROM I have tried, everything works marvelously until I get to a part where I must decide something in a dialogue box.. be it, to stay at the Inn, leave the first town, shop at the Item store, you name it. Basically, the game keeps "running", no skips in music or animation, but all controls just die. Of course, I can easily reset, but having been unable to save a file yet, I keep playing through the same things over and over and to no avail, no matter what I do differently. Not sure what's going on there, but has this been a current/past issue anyone has known about?

In Chrono Trigger, everything runs *moderately* fine until I try to leave Chrono's house in the beginning, and it all just goes to heck. A scene of the town seems to pop up for a sec, then flickers to a map screen with the year, but allows no further option to do anything, aside from hitting "B" I believe, to watch the same scene flicker occur again, getting stuck at the map screen. Also, the directional pad is way too fast. It's very sensitive, but I am guessing that that could very well be a feature in the game, and not a flaw in the ROM (?).

Anyway, I have tried everything that I know to do, which is to update, re-download files, and search through the forums.lol Any idea what's up?

And here's what I'm running... MacBook, OSX 10.5.8; Snes9x 1.53; ps3 dualshock 3 controller ran through usb, with all buttons assigned and working, according to the config window even during freeze-ups.

Thanks for your time!
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

Use a tool called NRST and Snes Purify (which comes with Bsnes from Byuu's website) to make sure your ROM dumps aren't corrupted and/or have headers. If they do, you can purify the ROMs and they should run correctly. I know the ROM I have of Chrono Trigger run perfectly fine so it can't be Snes9x's fault.
Lisa: "I hope you all know you're sponsoring a murderous pirate!"
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
sceirus99
Snes9x White Belt

Post by sceirus99 »

Thanks. I'll give it a try!
sceirus99
Snes9x White Belt

Post by sceirus99 »

Well, I could only get one of those programs to work properly on my Mac so far, the NRST one.

From the diagnostics, and comparing to a ROM of Super Mario RPG that I have, which works great, the two files did seem to have some issues. Specifically, they both had headers, and an extra hash that disappeared from the scanned info after I did the in-program fix. I played around with Chrono Trigger after that, to see if it worked, and apparently it was having the same problems. I haven't tried the other, but I will still attempt to either give it another look, or use different files. Because of where the issue is in the game play, I can only go through so many failed attempts without wanting to throw my machine through the window.lol

If anything changes, as in, I get it to work fine, I'll repost. But as of my initial tests earlier today, I wasn't seeing any real results with the NSRT "fixes". And yeah, it does certainly sound like a ROM issue, and not one with Snes9x.

Thanks again for your advice. :)
zones
Official Mac OSX Porter/Dev

Post by zones »

Both games work will if they are dumped properly. I can't see your problems with my mac.
Unplug your ps3 controller and try to play with the keyboard.