Donkey Kong Country crashing on Droid 2 Global

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
03bgood
Snes9x White Belt

Donkey Kong Country crashing on Droid 2 Global

Post by 03bgood »

Everytime I load DKC on Snes9X EX, the phone just crashes at the Rareware/Nintendo screen logo and I have to reinsert my battery to wait for it to reboot! Why is this happening to me? It dosn't seem to happen on other SNES emulators such as SNESOID so it must only be Snes9X and all my other ROMS work fine!
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

that's odd...

can you put the ROM back on your PC and either:

1. obtain the ROM info from Snes9X
and/or 2. scan it with NSRT

and post the results here?

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
03bgood
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 03bgood »

Can corrupted files crash your phone if they are opened? Because I don't think the DKC ROM is corrupted because it runs past the Nintendo/Rareware logo screen without crashing the OS on other SNES emulators as I said above.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Just gave it a try on my Nexus One, and it works perfectly.

What phone, what OS if you have a custom one, and are you on the most recent version of SNES9x EX?

Might also try finding another source for your ROM image; there may be something about it that the emulator doesn't like, but SNesoid ignores.
Rakashazi
Official iOS & Android Porter

Re: Donkey Kong Country crashing on Droid 2 Global

Post by Rakashazi »

Working fine on my original Droid which I use as my test platform. The complete phone freeze is definitely strange and might be an OS or GPU driver issue (Snes9x EX uses OpenGL, other emus use the Android bitmap functions). Try it with the Direct Texture and Sound options off and see if it still happens. Also, if you have the SDK installed, connect to the phone's log with ADB and see if any strange messages appear when it freezes.
03bgood
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 03bgood »

Okay it passed the screen just fine with sound and direct texture settings turned off. It can't be OS or GPU related because I got the phone last Wednesday and its new. So why does it work fine with texture and sound off as apposed to when both are enabled?
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Just because your phone is new doesn't mean it is totally bug-free.

Try turning on sound; if it works, your phone has GPU issues. If it crashes, turn sound off and turn off Direct Texture; if it works then, your phone's sound system is flawed.
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

03bgood wrote:Okay it passed the screen just fine with sound and direct texture settings turned off. It can't be OS or GPU related because I got the phone last Wednesday and its new. So why does it work fine with texture and sound off as apposed to when both are enabled?
Which of the two options was causing the freeze? Also, does the issue only happen in DKC at that spot or in other games too?
03bgood
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 03bgood »

It works now! Just replaced ROM with a newer one. Doesnt freeze up anymore!
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

03bgood wrote:It works now! Just replaced ROM with a newer one. Doesnt freeze up anymore!
erm. Yeah, that could be the problem too.... c_c
mrknow1
Refused to obey the rules. I'm a n00b.

HTC EVO 50% crash rate so far

Post by mrknow1 »

I just started using snes9x EX today to get mario RPG working (which didnt on snesoid) first time worked like charm then after about 20 reboots (and trying to get other games loaded as well) i had a 50% crash rate on my rooted HTC EVO 4G. snesoid never crashed but cant play some titles (such as mario RPG) any ideas or help?
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Give Rakashazi's suggestion above a try; turn off sound and direct textures, try again, see if it crashes.

Sorry to hear about the hardlock; I hate it too when I have to take the battery out to get it rebooted. :/

Also, thanks for not being a douche in this thread like you were in the other one.
adventure_of_link

SparroHawc wrote:Also, thanks for not being a douche in this thread like you were in the other one.
dude, you know such attitudes don't really help the situation and will probably just make the OP frustrated right?

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

For anyone getting hard lockups or reboots, these are bugs in your phone's kernel/OS code and are not caused by Snes9x EX itself. All Android apps runs with restricted privileges and normally cannot cause the OS to hang. First off, be sure you have tested the app on the newest Android version available for your device, and if possible, any newer unofficial versions. If I get enough confirmed reports of problems for a specific device & OS version, I'll try to implement a work-around like I did with the HTC Desire on 2.2. I also need at least one user with the problematic device willing to test any possible fixes.
adventure_of_link

heh wow... so much for the platform that is about free and open source when you still have to jump through hoops to get it to work huh?

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

mrknow1

Post by mrknow1 »

HTC EVO rooted, no sound, and i don't have the option to even turn on direct textures so its off. Still fails me. After about a week testing, 65% crash rate. Fixing this will make it the best emulation out there but I'm sure that ain't ez. O and because I haven't used them yet, fuck shit cock ass. Enjoy the vulgar for you vaginas
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

adventure_of_link wrote:heh wow... so much for the platform that is about free and open source when you still have to jump through hoops to get it to work huh?
Well, it wouldn't be as much of a problem if people could freely update to the current version of Android but that's only possible on select devices. For the rest it's up to the vendors and many of them aren't interested in games, thus the broken GPU drivers.

As for the other poster, he hasn't stated what version of Android he's using and generally doesn't seem to be contributing anything constructive with his comments.
mrknow1

Post by mrknow1 »

Android rooted 2.2
Rakashazi

Post by Rakashazi »

Can you check on 2.3? The HTC desire lock-up which sound similar to your problem only happens in 2.2.
adventure_of_link

mrknow1 wrote:O and because I haven't used them yet, fuck shit cock ass. Enjoy the vulgar for you vaginas
Keep up this vulgarity, and you may end up getting B&. in the interim, I've sent a special rank that I'm sure you won't like.

Raka, thanks. And no doubt Sony's Xperia is going to cause problems in the future as well; remember the deal about hacking PS3s and such?

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)