Game Pad Help!!!

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

So the controller -does- work on games besides SNES9x?

From the behavior you're describing (the 'disconnected' and 'connected' sounds chiming multiple times) it sounds like either the controller uses some strange setup with the drivers or it's starting to die.

If it works properly in other games, I'd suggest wiping the drivers for the gamepad and trying it again. Unfortunately, it's a lengthy, technical process to do that. If you want to give it a shot, give me a reply and I'll post detailed instructions.
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

If it works properly in other games, I'd suggest wiping the drivers for the gamepad and trying it again. Unfortunately, it's a lengthy, technical process to do that. If you want to give it a shot, give me a reply and I'll post detailed instructions.

I have also been told that it could be that the mother board is dying too is the reason that it's acting this way. It's not just the game controller acting up, because like I said, it did work great at one time, and then 2 months later it started to act up and some other USB devices too. Just thought you should know this to see if what you want me to do is the right thing to do or not.

Yes, please tell me what I need to do to do that if it's the right thing to do.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Ah, yeah, if other USB devices are having similar troubles, I don't think anything is going to help much besides replacing hardware. Sorry. :(
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

I'll check with my Computer Manufacturer again to see what they tell me.

I just, believe it or not, found out that one of the reasons that a USB device was not recognized or working properly, was because it was not showing in the Device Manager until I installed it again a much different way.

However, like I said, if this does work, I'll let you know the outcome of it, and then like I said, I'll check again with my computer manufacturer to see if there is a way that I can make this Gamepad USB device show up in the Device Manager. OK?
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Sounds reasonable to me.

To try uninstalling the drivers for the gamepad completely, pull up the Device Manager and right-click on the entry for the gamepad itself and select 'Uninstall'. (If it doesn't specifically have the name of your gamepad and instead says HID or something like that, DON'T DO THIS.) That ought to give you a chance to reinstall the drivers from scratch, or use the standard Windows driver for gamepads. This might help, might not - with the way your USB devices are disconnecting and reconnecting constantly, it probably won't make a difference - but you can give it a try at least.

If you can't see the entry in Device Manager, you may need to restart Windows in Safe Mode, pull up the Device Manager, and select View -> Show Hidden Devices. I think that'll show you things that have been installed but aren't currently attached.
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

OK, when I get the chance once again, I'll give this a try. Anything is worth a try and better than nothing at all.

My computer manufacturer is going to have me to update the Bios along with downloading the drivers when this part is over to hopefully fix the issues that I keep on facing with it.

They say that if it's the motherboard or the hardware going bad, then this won't fix it at all, but it's certainly worth going thru all of this just to see if it does or not.

I just discovered that one of the original USB ports that came with the computer is better than the 2nd one that gives me problems, even though the 1st one acts up too!

The (4) 2.0 USB's that I had professionally installed seem to work and then they seem they don't. We checked them out and there is no Exclamation Point or a red X on any of them at all in the Device Manager when we checked in the Game Controllers part.

We'll see what happens, and as always, I'll keep you up to date and let you know if we need to do more to it to hopefully get it to work once and for all!

I'll certainly try your method next if this does not do the trick.

It's almost as if I'm shooting blanks so to speak!
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

24ggirl wrote:The (4) 2.0 USB's that I had professionally installed seem to work and then they seem they don't.
please define "non-professionally-installed ports." are they on a pci/pcie card, or coming off a pin header on the mobo? if they're on a card, put the card in another slot; if they still don't work, toss & replace the card. if they're on a pin header, check your wiring. usb is (Vcc, D-, D+, Gnd, Shield/NC).

(slightly o/t: neverNEVER screw up a 1394 port wiring. 12V in a bad place will make bzzt, and a lot of it. quite entertaining to watch, but bad for the wallet.)
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

OK, can you please clarify how I might be able to do that as I don't know how to, to give you the information that you are wanting. Thanks again!
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

pop the cover and look. are the ports mounted on a board in a slot, or are they mounted on a bracket which has a cable running to the motherboard?
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

I don't want you to think that I have forgotten to do this or anything like this, I just haven't had the time to do so, but when I do, I'll get back to you and let you know! Thanks! (Just updating, that's all) Thanks for your understanding in this matter at hand! Appreciate it!
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Double-check that you have write permission for the config file.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Yeah, that'd probably do it. :) If you originally compiled/installed/ran SNES9x as root, you wouldn't have permission to change the config file. Wiping the directory let SNES9x recreate the files with your permissions, letting you write changes to the config file.

Glad to hear it's working!
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

Just giving you an update here.

I will be taking the computer to be looked at today and hopefully will have some good news about the USB issue that I face with it, and then when I get it back, I will be doing a BIOS update. When this is all done, we will be able to pick up where we left off. Thanks for being very very patient with me!
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

Glad to hear it, and you'll be getting, hopefully by weeks end if both of are lucky enough, an update on what's going on with it.

I did get the computer back and had the Bios updated and they even cleaned and blew out the USB ports because they told me that the computer was probably in a dusty warehouse and that the dust got in the USB ports, and when I kept on pulling the game controller out and then plugging it back in, the dust was getting pushed back further into the USB port causing the chime sound when you plug and unplug the USB device to the USB ports.

Needless to say, they are all working now, but the game controller is not! The tech told me that it sounds like the controller may have gone bad, because now, when I plug it in, I don't get any chime sound when I do plug it into the USB port.

They did check out the mother board by doing a diagnostic on it, and they told me that there is nothing wrong with it at all. I'm glad that part and all these other parts are ruled out as well also and that, that's not it at all!

If anything, I may go ahead and just order another game pad to see if that may be true like the tech told me I should do.

In the meantime, I may get you to help me see if it will somehow work now that everything is up and running the way that it should now before I do order another one if you don't mind. I figure we could at least give it another try to see what happens and then go from there to see if it could possibly be the game pad that is actually bad or not by ruling this part out for sure.

Now, for the other thing you wanted to know of how the USB ports were hooked up when you told me to open the cover and look and said, are the ports mounted on a board in a slot. or are they mounted on a bracket which has a cable running to the motherboard?. The tech said the top 2 are soldered on a board and the bottom 4 that they put in themselves that I told you about when I said they were professionally installed by them, and they told me that they are on a card (PCI slot). I hope that helps you to further help me out again.

And thanks for your patience and understanding once again in this matter in helping me out. I feel eventually that we'll get the bugs worked out so to speak and all will be well as if nothing happened at all. After all, persistence does pay off you know.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Alright, one more thing to try then with the game controller (though it does sound increasingly like the poor thing's dead).

If you always plug it into one of the two top USB ports, try using the bottom four (the ones on the PCI card). Or if you always use one of the four bottom ones, use one of the top two. If Windows doesn't pick it up after that... I think it's time to hold a funeral for it.

Oh, you could also try giving it to a friend and see if their computer will work with it.

Very glad to hear your motherboard is working fine though.
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

I really do love your sense of humor!!! That really really helped after all I've been thru with it and all!

Yes, I have tried all 6 USB ports, the 2 on top, and the 4 on bottom, and still windows refuses to pick it up. I tried other devices just to see if I would get the chime from plugging them in every USB port and then unplugging them, and windows picked all of them up one by one. In fact, I don't know if you remember me telling you this or not, and maybe I didn't because it's been so long now, but, another device that wasn't working actually worked because windows had to re-download the driver from the device itself, and then it worked flawlessly like nothing was ever wrong with it at all. Imagine that! I was really really thrilled to say the least in that persistence is the key for me and that it paid off as annoying, painful, and agonizing it was for me all along. I said to myself that when it was being downloaded and detected by windows that, you know, I truly believe it was gonna actually work this time around and lo and behold it did finally to my amazement and surprise no doubt!!! CONGRATULATIONS TO ME!!!! But all along I was feeling that when it was being detected and downloaded that I felt like I was watching a cliffhanger or something like that waiting for months on end to finally see the outcome. I was actually kind of scared to tell you the truth and almost biting my nails like in a suspense movie or something like that about it though until it proved to me once and for all that the work that was done on it this time actually paid off this time around!!!

However, I'm so very glad that you told me to try it out on another computer to see what happens now as I would never ever thought to have done that one myself. What a total dunce I am! As you might have guessed by now, I need others to do my thinking for me, and for me, that's BAD BAD BAD!!! I'm sure this will tell us the tale for sure now. It will either be detected or it won't now, but we'll just see what happens now. Oh, and I just hope you don't think that I'm being sarcastic to you by no means at all, because actually I'm booing myself and praising you for all you've done for me!

Just one question though, if it does pick it up on another computer, and it won't on the one that I had the Bios updated, do you think it's because the Bios has been updated that may be causing the issue I'm experiencing now?
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

So what time do you want to come to the funeral? Are you gonna be one of the pall bearers? It's OFFICIAL!!! The poor thing is DEAD DEAD DEAD!!!

I did try it on another computer, and it acted like windows wanted to pick it up because the hour glass was flashing, but no chime at all when I plugged it in.

I will be ordering another one soon, and then when I get it, I'll let you know the outcome and if it's working or not, and if I need some help getting that Joy 2 Key download you sent me to work, but I'll read what all you wrote me before I do so.

Just one 2 part question though. Should I use it fresh after windows picks it up and installs it, or use the Joy 2 Key?

Which one would be better to use?
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

Eh, don't worry, it happens to the best of us... ;)

and good to hear you solved your problem :) as for joy2key, personally I'd rather let Windows find the joypad and configure it later within Snes9X. only time I've ever saw a need for joy2key and such was for playing those flash games...

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

Well, that's what I was thinking myself just to let windows install the new one and then go from there to see what happens, and only use the other method maybe if I want to enhance something or another like that.

Would it be OK to use the Joy2Key if I wanted to for enhanced game play even though the 1st installation method worked the way that it was supposed to? (Please answer)

Would it interfere and mess things up by doing that somewhere along the line in the future if I did by using the Joy2Key? (Please answer)
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

you only need joy2key for apps that don't accept controller input (it works by emulating a keyboard). i'd recommend against installing it unless/until you find a need for it.