Game Pad Help!!!

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Game Pad Help!!!

Post by 24ggirl »

My SNES Games will work fine on my computer from the SNES Emulator via the computer keypad, but the gamepad will not as it used to at one time. I have tried configuring the gamepad like I used to do and it worked fine before, but now it won't at all. Can you please tell me what to do to get this gamepad configured to work once more. Thanks!
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

You may need to remap the buttons for it to work, then restart SNES9x.

First things first though - if you go into the Input Configuration screen, select a button, and press a button on the controller, does it change the mapping like it should?
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

I don't know yet as I'm not gonna be with it until possibly next week at the latest. So until then, please be patient with me and I'll let you know if it worked or not. Thanks! Hope it does!
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

Thanks for being patient with me. Some do and some don't and the ones that do still don't do anything even after I set them. Any more advice on what to do will be most helpful again. Thanks!
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

24ggirl wrote:Thanks for being patient with me. Some do and some don't and the ones that do still don't do anything even after I set them. Any more advice on what to do will be most helpful again. Thanks!
Strange. This sounds like the same issue others have had with the Logitech gamepads. We unfortunately don't have a solution at the moment - but there is a workaround. If you grab the Windows version of Joy2Key you can make the system think you're pressing keyboard keys instead of gamepad buttons. That'll get you around just about any controller issues you run across.

Get the utility here:

http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/Jo ... ersion.htm
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

I don't have a Logitech Gamepad.

This gamepad is by Retrolink.

Even though I don't have the Logitech Gamepad, will this download link you provided help me with this issue that I'm facing with it?
niloklives
Snes9x White Belt

Post by niloklives »

joy to key will work with any controller that windows recognizes, even a dualshock 3 via motion in joy. just use the gamepad control panel to find out your button layout and joy2key will take care of the rest. just make sure you have joy2key open when you use SNES 9x and disable your controller within snes9x so there are no conflicts.
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

OK! Got it! I'll give it a try and see what happens within the next 5 days, so please do me a favor and keep this support/issue open until I do, and I'll let you know what happens, and in the meantime, thanks for all of your helpful advice thus far as it's all worth a BIG BIG shot at it!
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

I look at all the new posts and replies, so no worries there. :)
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

Thanks for letting me know that because I didn't want you to think that I was being lazy or anything like that or not trying to reply back in a timely manner like you have to me. Thanks again for all of your help you have given me thus far!
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

OK, now this is what happens after I download and try to run the link you sent me.

When I double click the JoyToKey icon to run it:

I get this Error Message Window that says, "Couldn't find Joysticks!!!"

"Make sure Joysticks are connected and DirectX 6 is installed."

The gamepad is connected but I don't think the DirectX 6 is installed.

Do you have a link I can download the DirectX 6 from so it will hopefully work?

Thanks again for your help!
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

okay.

first off, directx 6 is very outdated, and even if _some_ bits of snes9x still use directx 6 for whatever reason, the latest version of directx should work.

next, what version of snes9x you using?

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

Snes9X v1.39a
adventure_of_link

24ggirl wrote:Snes9X v1.39a
PLEASE use the latest Snes9X. check the stickies.

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

I understand by what you mean by having the latest version, but what do you mean by check the stickies?
adventure_of_link

24ggirl wrote:I understand by what you mean by having the latest version, but what do you mean by check the stickies?
Actually, that should've been check the ANNOUNCEMENTS, sorry.

in any case, both stickies and announcements are at the top of the forum, marked Announcement: and Sticky: respectively.

* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)

24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

Thanks for this bit of info too! I'll give it a try a little bit later on when I get the chance and see what happens. I'll as usual let you know the outcome when I do. Thanks!
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

Well for some reason or another, I got it to somehow work and got the configuration window for the JoyToKey when I double clicked it to work to enable the keyboard when using the gamepad and then closed it out, and then tried to go back into it so that the JoyToKey would show back up so that I could play the games, and now I'm back to where I left off where it still wants the DirectX6 and to make sure the gamepad is plugged in properly.

What do I need to do to get the JoyToKey to come back up and keep it visible so that I can play the games now? Thanks!
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

I am starting to suspect that your problem is with the gamepad, not the software. If JoyToKey can't pick up that you have a gamepad, it's possible that SNES9x can't find it either for the same reason - especially since you're saying that JoyToKey -did- work that one time. Have you tried using the gamepad with a different game?

Also, try unplugging the gamepad, plugging it back in, waiting 20 seconds, and bringing up JoyToKey again. Make sure the game controller is showing up in your 'Game Controllers' control panel (or wherever it is Windows Vista and 7 keep that thing).

Sorry for my lack of posting - I did see it eventually! I was out of town for a week and for some reason the forum didn't remember what posts I hadn't seen. :/
24ggirl
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 24ggirl »

By you saying that if it may be the problem with the gamepad and not the software, that may be the reason that the JoyToKey refuses to download and pick up the gamepad just like the SNES9x does and show properly like it (JoyToKey) did just the one time?

Yes, I have tried the gamepad for different games, and still no luck at all.

Well the same thing happens when I unplug and then plug in the gamepad. What's happening is that it sounds like it gets plugged in and that Windows recognizes it from the sound it makes, and then all of a sudden, I get the sound it makes as if I unplugged the gamepad even though I didn't at all. This happens several times off and on before it quits.

What do you think is going on here?