strange moving horizontal bars while screen moving

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
jhonny_coati
Snes9x White Belt

strange moving horizontal bars while screen moving

Post by jhonny_coati »

For some strange reason, whenever the character is moving, theres this strange horizontal bar that runs down vertically on the screen. These bars seem to bend anything that they run over. The bars only run down whenever the screen is moving, like when the character is moving across some trees, these bars seem to bend the trees, then when i stop, the bars dissapear. I tried fixing the settings, but nothing.

Theres this emulator that i tried called SnesGT. I was actually able to fix this problem with that emulator. In this emulator, there was this helpful setting that allowed me to choose a filter that allowed me to resize : double. So im assuming that this bar problem has something to do with a filter thats missing in snes9x? Even Zsnes suffers from the bending bars problem.

The advantage in snes9x is the cheats which is why i liked snes9x, but those running bars ruin everything. even the newest version of snes9x hasnt fixed this issue. I also like how the snes9x seems more popular with its forum ,and on this emulator site, the emulator appeared with 5 stars.

SnesGT doesnt appear to have cheats. And doesnt appear to have its own forum, and its website appears to be more japanese than english, and it appears almost broken. but SnesGT so far looks like the best snes emulator.

So is this running bar problem occur with everyone else? If so, were you able to fix it, or did you move to SnesGT?.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Turn off 'stretch image' in the display configuration.

Either that or turn on bilinear filtering and increase SNES9x's resolution (stretch the window larger if you're using windowed mode).
jhonny_coati
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jhonny_coati »

like i said, i tried everything. i increased the resolution, i clicked on set mode, and still those bending bars appear. Probably because the resolution is only for fullscreen mode, and even in fullscreen mode, it doesnt work that good, it actually kinda got rid of the bar problem, but for certain other games i tested, the problems were still there one way or the other, but in the form of vertical bending bars. Besides, i hate fullscreen mode which is one of the reasons why i hated Zsnes. I should have been able to play properly in window mode, so i dont know whats wrong. I still think that this is a major bug of the emulator cause there doesnt seem to be anyway to fix this problem.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Uncheck the 'stretch image' box in the Display Configuration and don't use fullscreen.

If that doesn't fix it, you need to change your desktop resolution.

Warped lines on the screen happen because the emulator isn't displaying the game at a proper ratio, or because you are running your operating system at a different resolution than your monitor is expecting. In order to compensate for this discrepancy, it stretches some of the pixels, making a vertical bar of stretched pixels across the entire height of the game screen.

If you turn off the 'stretch image' function and change your output image processing to, say, Simple X2 and then play in windowed mode instead of fullscreen, it will force the emulator to display the game at exactly double the resolution without the need to do any uneven pixel stretching.

If you still get weird vertical bars, change your desktop resolution to as high as it will go. Monitors do the stretch trick too if you're running your operating system at a lower resolution than it is expecting.

--edit--

Set mode? What version are you using?
jhonny_coati
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jhonny_coati »

i did uncheck the stretch image, and change the output image processing, but still the same problem. my screen resolution is set to 1920 by 1080, and thats the highest it can go.

and ive tried to fix this problem in versions 1.51 and 1.52.
jhonny_coati
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jhonny_coati »

well, i did uncheck 'stretch with video card" if thats what you meant, and i actually kind of did see a tiny decrease of these bars, but they still appear. the screen just goes on a seizure everytime the screen moves in snes9x. Its not like in snesGT where the screen moves, and there are no bending bars anywhere. Its clear as day everytime i move in snesGT. It was also easier for me to fix this problem in SnesGT. So if this problem has something to do with my computer, then thats strange since my computer is supposed to be fully compatible with snes9x. Unless theres a setting in the computer that fixes this problem? Or is this supposed to be normal and im expected to ignore it?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Isn't this called Screen Tearing?
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

OH HAHA you're right, Camo. >_<

Turn on vsync.

Somehow I got 'vertical bars' in my head instead of horizontal. DERP
kolechovski
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by kolechovski »

Is it that you have an old monitor, video card, or other resource issue? What happened with this?
The soldier was forced to desert his dessert in the desert.